Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger

Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger

The New Dodge Charger

Mon, 11 Jun 2007, 21:00

NEW DODGE CHARGER

The new Dodge Charger is roughly based on the platform provided by the LX (Dodge Magnum and the Chrysler 300). In contrast to the Chargers of the past, this new Charger is a four door sedan model. The appearance of the headlights is a somewhat after market look with their large size surrounded with dark detailing. The front end is rather blunt, with the crosshair grill from the Dodge line leading out.

The Charger doesn't look much like the other LX cars from the profile. It has a windshield which is more tilted, the sides are more rounded and the entire appearance is less straight line. Actually the side view profile of the Charger resembles a Neon more than the 300 series. There has reportedly been some backlash on Mopar forums against the use of the Charger name for this vehicle, but there is also lots of good support for the car.

Other styling changes which help performance as well are the revised front and rear fascias. This cools the brakes and reduces lift. There's a hood scoop, an SRT badge in the blacked out grill in red, black and silver. There's also a rear spoiler.

Turning to the interior, you'll find dark gauges, an LED oil pressure or temperature display. An LED display for tire pressure is another of the innovations. The seats provide good support and gripping power. A special steering wheel trim makes for responsive handling capabilities.

The 23E package Dodge Charger with a 2.7 liter engine incorporating the four-speed automatic was on dealers' showroom floors at the midway point of the 2007 model year. Rental agencies already had the 2.7 liter Charger in their fleets. Chrysler estimates the Charger Hemi engine will do 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. The Dodge Charger SRT8 has a 6.1 liter Hemi, 425 horsepower powerhouse claiming 0-60 in five seconds. 0 to 100 mph measures about 16.5 seconds. Braking power from 60 to 0 is estimated at about 110 feet.

The Hemi engine is extremely popular. It may even be the major reason why people stand by the cars surrounding it. The 6.1 liter version has 425 net horsepower with 420 foot pounds of torque.

The 5.7 Hemi delivers at about 345 horsepower in the Dodge Ram, depending on the specifics of the vehicle and about 340 horsepower in the Charger, 300C and Magnum RT. Torque respectively is 375 foot pounds and 390 foot pounds. Usually the ratios are just the opposite between trucks and cars.

In 2008 a 6.4 Hemi 392 cubic inch will be available on the Challenger. Experts are claiming 505 horsepower in this racing special. It is unlikely to be considered practical or even legal for street use.

The suspension also has a lot going for it with anti-sway bars, an electronic stability program, specially tuned dampers, bushings and spring rates. The wheels are 20 inch with Goodyear's three season 245/45/20 tires in the front and 255/45/20 tires in the rear. The Charger SRT8 braking system has vented rotors and Brembo calipers. Disc brakes front and rear are standard.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger

Nice to here about the Challenger, but aren't they a little late in the article on the Charger.[X(]
Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM

I read the post as blah blah blah Charger.... 6.4L IN CHALLENGER!!!

Awesome news. I was hoping for one but had kind of resigned myself to a 6.1L which really would be OK but heck...ya only live once so why skimp. Can't wait to feel those 500 horses rumble!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:35 PM

If it's not street legal they won't offer it.... but not practical???? come on
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

They need that 6.4 to even compete let alone beat the camaro SS, new C7 vette, and GT500 Stang.

Let alone the new EVO X, STI(both 300 hp plus) the E92 M3 at 420 Hp and B7 RS4Audi at 420
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 PM

How can it not be legal if there are other cars coming out with even more HP... a la Viper?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SRT boys are working on a full (civilized) production version of the 6.4. It will probably appear in the upcoming Woodward Cruise in August.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM

I'm guessing the "legality" of the engine refers to emissions and mileage testing / compliance.
I'm sure the crate motor would also have to be retuned /fine-tuned for use in the street / production version of the Challenger.

Not to start rhumors, but I "heard/read" that work was being done on either the 6.1L or 6.4L to get it to run the MDS that is currently on the 5.7L Hemi. IF this is true, I'm sure they'd want to have it done before putting it into a production car.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Hey guys i told my girl i would drive my car that i love to drive to work (don't laugh its a 92 crown vic Ex Private Investigator from Florida. It has a v8 "interceptor" motor and it is so nice to smoke youngsters in a older car. To get back to the subject i said when i buy my challenger it will be my love i might actually drag race it some for fun at the strip and of course enjoy cruising on the weekend. She swears up and down that i will drive it every day to work once i sit in the sits hear the bose sound system and feel the founded horsepower. Is it "practical" to drive to work in my challenger (6.1 or 6.4) hemi IT WILL HAVE THE HEMI. I mean i live less than 20 minutes from work only 12 miles TOPS i was thinking gaswise or anything else it wouldn't matter.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK IF YOU HAVE ANY NEWER CARS KINDA LIKE THE CHALLENGER. LIKE CHARGERS ETC ETC.

Someone at my work has a brand new GTO and he drives it every day but i don't if thats comparable with the challenger.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 AM

I don't drive my mustang everyday. I have a old truck I at least drive once a week to get the fluids going, and I ride the bike as well. It sucks to get up in the morning and the biggest decision to make is what vehicle to take.[:-]

And puthy, on a side note, I haven't read what audio system they will have, but if they keep like the same as the charger and 300c, it will most likely be the Boston Acoustic system. Or they could go with the other system they offer, which is the MyGig system.

Quick Reply: Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger