Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger

Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger

well i mean how many disc changer is it? is mp3 player? b/c i know a basic v6 mustang has an increadable system so i was assuming if i paid 30-45k for a car it woul dbe EVEN MORE amazing.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard that same rumor but I think it was for the 6.1L to be made MDS. I would prefer the 6.4L to be made MDS.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is more likely for the 6.4L because I believe I read that there is something about the design of the 6.1L does not work with the MDS. The 6.4L would really be nice if it had the MDS system.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM

what is "MDS" ive never heard of it could someone please explain in depth.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM

I am pretty sure that MDS means Multi Displacement System. Anyways what ever the real words are. Basically the concept in this case it is a V8 Vehicle. When you need the power you use all 8 cylinders. When you are cruising on the highway or say sitting at a light, it just runs off of 4 cylinders. This helps to not use as much fuel.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM

The July 2004 Issue of Popular Mechanics did a great job of explaining MDS:

"Here's how MDS works: There are four special 2-piece roller lifters for the cylinders that get disabled. The two pieces are concentric--there's an inner portion surrounded by an outer sleeve. The two parts are locked together by two spring-loaded pins when the engine is in 8-cylinder mode and all the pushrods are operating their valves normally. Under light loads, however, the engine management computer signals each solenoid valve to open and apply high oil pressure to its respective exhaust- and intake-valve lifters. This action forces the two pins in each disabling lifter to unlock the two concentric parts. (To help minimize oil contamination, there’s a magnet at the bottom of each solenoid unit to collect ferris debris.)"

The entire article is very informative and provides some keen insight into the engineering behind the current generation Hemi. Here is a link to the entire article, I hope you find it helpful...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...26.html?page=3

Old 06-14-2007, 09:35 PM

I read/heard something to the effect that the 6.1 425 hp version is cammed up too much for MDS. If they dropped the hp they could do the MDS on it.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Jeep is coming out with an all-new 2nd generation 5.7L MDS Hemi for the 2009 model year. The new Hemi will feature Variable Valve Timing technology and other new advancements, resulting in notable gains in fuel efficiency, refinement, power and torque. Specifications will not be announced until sometime next year. The new 5.7 will be Standard on the 2009 Grand Cherokee and Commander Overland models, and will be optional on the Limited models.

The second all-new Hemi engine will be a 6.4L powerhouse that will supposedly put out more than 500 hp. While not officially announced, the new engine is slated for 2009-2010 SRT8 models of the Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger, the new Dodge Challenger, and one or two other Chrysler/Dodge vehicles."

It looks like anyone who wants a 6.4 will have to wait for the 2009 model.

See: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_updates.htm
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, and that is when I plan to buy by Dodge Challenger. Perfect timing or should I say Valve Timing. LOL!

I know, I know that was bad.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

Perfect timing for me as well.

Quick Reply: Charger news and 6.4L engine for Challenger