Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

'09 Challenger Towing Cap.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Challenger Towing Cap.

So I know the manufacturer Specs say it has a 1000lb towing capacity, but has anyone towed anything with theirs?

I'm thinking of trying to find a good hidden tow ball receptacle so that I can use my Challenger to tow my '72 VW Beetle on rare occassions.

I believe the stock weight of a vintage beetle is approx. 1400lbs, I've never weighed mine, but I run with no rear seat, no front fenders, fiberglass front end and fiberglass rear fenders so I'm guesstimating my actual weight is about 1200lbs.

In my mind there should be no reason why my Challenger couldn't pull my bug, but I'd hate to screw something up doing this.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM

My thoughts would be that anything you do is at your own risk if it's above and beyond the manufacturers recommendations. I don't think that it's so much the weight of your car that makes any difference in what you can tow, more of the setup. A Viper has a nice engine to it, but I think it's not recommended for towing at all. It has to do with the body, chasis, frame and suspension setup. If you can get it to work than more power to you, but again, it's at your own risk.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

Originally Posted by Axel
My thoughts would be that anything you do is at your own risk if it's above and beyond the manufacturers recommendations. I don't think that it's so much the weight of your car that makes any difference in what you can tow, more of the setup. A Viper has a nice engine to it, but I think it's not recommended for towing at all. It has to do with the body, chasis, frame and suspension setup. If you can get it to work than more power to you, but again, it's at your own risk.
I realize it's at my own risk, I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to think it might be possible. I'm not talking like a long road trip or anything, but if there's a show that's not too long of a drive away (under 90 mins) that would accept both cars, I'd like to bring em both, ya know.

I'm equally proud of both of my cars, especially since if I'm crunching the numbers properly, when I complete the engine build for my beetle, it has a very good possibility of beating my Challenger on the strip..
Attached Thumbnails effigy-quarter-front.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM

My son is a drummer and plays a rather large double bass drum kit. I tow his gear to gigs in a small single axle trailer and you would never know it was back there, even at 65 mph. I used the plug in wiring harness so nothing had to be spliced into. (Took 5 minutes to install) and had a class 2 hitch installed which is hardly visible when the tongue and ball assembly are removed.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 AM

Thanks eecom! Once I get back to land for a bit I'll have to check around for hitch installs.. so there'll be follow up on this in about 2011.. haha
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM

I have the hidden hitch from Mopar for my Chally, I installed the wiring harness as well, same feeling here, no splicing all plug and play. just finished lowering the riode, all I'll be pullin is a small pup trailer just for yard work or the occassional move etc...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM

don't suppose you have a link for the hidden hitch? I'm on a ship right now and internet speed is slow and limited so I can't just google everything