Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Challenger RT questions. Best exhaust without hurting warenty? Mufflers?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 PM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger RT questions. Best exhaust without hurting warenty? Mufflers?

I picked up a 2010 RT 6 speed today sick car. Couldnt justify extra 10 grand for an SRT. Is the suspension and all the same on the RT and SRT? I got it for 27500 new with 20 inch chrome rims, 6, speed, and sun roof. How did I do price wise?

I want to run a K&N. Will it improve anything or hurt the factory warrenty?

Can I run 87 oct fuel in it without issues?

I want to make this thing sound as good as it looks without hurting the warenty. I love flow master single chamber 10 series but they are short. I want to just replace the mufflers and nothing else for pure sound increases. I want it loud and good sounding. What are my options. FYI I LOVE the way this sounds...
If I could get it this tone and loud with only changing the mufflers and not hurting the warenty I would be really happy

YouTube - SLP Perf.Challenger SRT-8 w/SLP Headers & Loud Mouth Exhaust
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM

There are certain SRT features that are optional on R/T models:

HID's are standard on SRT (option on J package R/T)
Electronic Convenice Group is standard on SRT (option on J package R/T)
20" wheels are extra cost option on R/T (different style than SRT wheel)
Limited slip differential (aka: anti spin) standard on auto or manual SRT - (only R/T manual gets limited slip)

Unique items to SRT trim:
SRT specific 20" wheels
4 Piston Brembo brake system with slotted rotors
Suspension tuning (stiffer), larger sway bars specific to SRT
Performance gauge package (G-force cornering, braking, 1/4mi, 1/8mi timer)
13-speaker Kicker system option only for SRT
functional hood scoops (cools engine compartment)
leather /alcantara (synthetic suede) seats unique to SRT - plus those versions have larger side bolsters and taller seatbacks.
Interior seems to be upgraded a bit over the RT (more trim)
Exhaust is upgraded as well, including Header style exhaust manifolds
AND...... A Gas Guzzler Tax (Sometimes known as a Fun Tax)

I'am sure I may have left out an item or two.....bottom line is that you are getting an upgraded RT that would cost a lot more if you did all the upgrades on your own................
Is it worth the extra price.....that's for each person to answer on their own. I purchased an SRT8 because in 2008 that was all there was. Had the RT been available I may have opted to go that route and not having drove an SRT I wouldn't know what I was missing...so I would have been very happy. However, having owned the SRT for over two years....I wouldn't be happy with the RT now. Not that the RT is any less an auto....it's just that I have grown to appreciate what the SRT offers.
And, before any RT owners start to throw rocks and bottles....with the SRT comes a few items that might be considered on the "down side"....such as parts cost more, service costs more at your local dealer for some things like Oil Changes, no MSD which means a few MPG less than the RT, no life time warranty available for SRT. BUT, having said that.....there is nothing like being the big dog on the block........
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Forgot to answer your question regarding Mods. All I can say is be very careful what you do, and if possible stay with Mopar parts and have the dealer install them. The reason is that I was told that they then become covered under your current warranty. You should have no issues if you do that. If on the over hand you want to go outside of Mother Mopar...check with your dealer first. Better safe than sorry, as it would be very hard to win a case against the manufactuer if they can show you mod'ed the car in any way. Since your warranty clearly states that mods will void the warranty.
As for 87 oct fuel useage, you should have no problems as I have used it from time to time when nothing better was available. However, if you use lower grade fuel just take it easy and don't lead foot it as your engine could knock......
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM

please refer to the Magnuson Moss Act.... Manufactures cannot void a warranty or not pay a claim if they can't prove in court that the modified part caused any problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you may even have a problem with MOPAR parts, depending on the dealer. I heard of a Challenger owner who was told that the MOPAR CAI is for track use only and not for street use. If any engine problems occur, Dodge may not make repairs under the warranty.