Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Engine Check Light on

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check Light on

When leaving the Post Office this morning . The engine didn't start right off . So I turned the key the 2nd time and it sounded different but started. Then when pulling out on the road it just sort of choked up and I turned it off and stopped. It did restart and I drove about a mile with light still on and stopped and called the dealer . They said as long as it wasn't flashing . And made appointment for tomorrow morning to check it out. Have anyone else had this problem? I have about 2400 miles on the car now. Have the 6 speed stick .
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Default RE: Engine Check Light on

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope it's nothing major. I just hit 2700 on mine this morning and I swear it's getting stronger everytime I drive.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Look at this thread titled "First Problem With the Car" from the Challenger SE section:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_61815/tm.htm
Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM

I am stuck on the part about turning the key....
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Yes the SE guy's problem sound's alot like mine . The light was off when I started the car to go home after driving to my VA hospital about 50 mile's away this afternoon. I was in there a few hours. My 71 Challenger R/T had electrical problems. So I'm not happy with this .
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Ya know one of the biggest problems with the cars today is the ECM. In my honest opinion the days of the shade tree mechanic are long since gone,providing you haven't been schooled in all the latest technology. With all the sensors and computers on these cars,self diagnosis of a problem becomes nearly impossible. Used to be you could get to just about anything that needed to be replaced. Now and for quite a few years already, it's damn near impossible to even change spark plugs yourself. A check engine light can be a tricky thing but for starters just try tightening your gas cap or changing the air filter. If neither of those work then a qualified mechanic will be ur best bet.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 PM

I have crossed the 3500-mile mark on my R/T Automatic. Never got a CEL. I have completed many trips to Pahrump, Nevada same day return and never experience a problem at all. Knock-on-wood.

Hope everything is ok on your 6-Speed R/T. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 AM

The first thing I checked was tightening the gas cap . They had alot of problem's with the gas cap on the 06 MX-5 GT I traded in . The light wouldn't bother me if it ran ok . But the engine choked up and wouldn't run when it first came on . Causing me to stop in the road in traffic. Not a good place to break down. It may take awhile for Dodge to have enough with the problem to put out a TSB on the problem . The throttle stuck on the 71 Challenger I had causing a wreck . Then later after I sold it . I learned the early model had a recall on the problem that I wasn't notified about . The cable's where too long and bowed up causing the cable to dig a rut in the plastic housing . And stick at wide open throttle .
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 AM

Yes, Spec War, I'm with you on the old days vs. today on being able to do your own stuff.

On my old Chevelle SS396, everything under the hood was so simple and you could see EVERYTHING right out in the open. On my new Hemi, oh-my-gosh there's so much stuff under the hood that I can hardly even see where my spark plugs, etc. are!

But on the other hand, I gave up on the 255,000 Chevelle because even after restoring a large part of the car, it was still... well, a 255,000 mile car!

So nice to have 364 miles (not 364,000!) and a lifetime power train warranty on my new R/T

I just hope Chrysler (or somebody) will keep that warranty going.

And as for the ECM & electricals all over the car, well, if Chrysler (or somebody) stays in business when my 3 year / 36000 mile (even though I'll never put 36000 miles on in 3 years!) warranty starts to run out, I'll be picking up a lifetime warranty because I plan on keeping this car "forever" (well, I said that about the CHevelle SS396 until.... the Hemi R/T came out!!)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 AM

Just got home from the Local Dodge dealer. It had thrown a code on the engine crank sensor . There was a TSB on it to reset the first time . They also replaced the air cleaner lid that had a broken tab I found soon after getting the car under warranty also. I had them go ahead and change the oil and filter since I had 2433 miles on the car and planned to change at 3000 anyway. I brought my own oil ( Castrol GTX 5W20 ) . I hope I don't have anymore engine check lights for this problem. But more than likely will. Then it will be time for plan B new part's or what ever.

Quick Reply: Engine Check Light on