Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

manual vs automatic

Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up manual vs automatic

can anyone give honest feedback on side by side performance between the too
i am talking stock cars quarter mile times assuming good drivers in both cars what would the diff be ?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Best case they are the same. Worst case is the manual driver flubs up and runs slower. I race with a 6 spd SRT Challenger owner weekly. They have fits getting that car to be consistent.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM

I did a lot of street racing (shame on me) years ago with my 69 Roadrunner auto and I never had anyone with a four speed able to match that torqueflite tranny. If they were close and had to shift they always lost ground. Not saying they can't be better, it's just my experience the auto is better. JMHO
Old 05-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems the manual puts more HP to the wheels, but you have to be real good on the shift. The auto will always be more consistant and with a good launch all you have to do is wait on the red line and shift. With the manual you will have to clutch and shift as you reach red line. Nod on 1/4 to the auto.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM

In the real world the auto is going to win everytime. Ive seen more 14sec. 6spd SRT-8's than not.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 AM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

I don't really have much experience racing, but in my opinion, if shifting slows you down, you're not driving properly.. I can up/down shift both my 1776cc '72 beetle, and my Challenger without it slowing me up, you just have to be good on the timing..

Yes, auto's are more consistent and the torqueflite was an awesome tranny (worked on a few of them in high school) but while I'm still a "dumb kid" I will never own a muscle car with an automatic.. hell, I absolutely hate driving the work vehicles cause they're all autos, just not my thing while i've still got decently working knees...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 AM

Autos are hard to beat at the drag strip. For a variety of reasons. It's tough to outshift them without power shifting which is hard as hell on your transmission. Burnouts are easier to do and don't require a clutch dump which also wears the crap out of the thing. Launching the car is easier. Staging the car is easier.

They are just flat out easier and really not much if any slower than a manual.

On a road course? Screw the auto. You want a manual. Or a paddle shifter.

Last edited by Riptide; 05-19-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by germansheperd
In the real world the auto is going to win everytime. Ive seen more 14sec. 6spd SRT-8's than not.
I'd never say "every time". Yes, the auto will be more consistant but all of the planets can and do align for the manual drivers once in a while.

However, if I were a betting man, I'd probably bet on the auto. But I wouldn't want to own the auto.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Default I've driven both

I drove a automatic first in the R/T . It felt alot like my wife's 06 300C I got her new. Sounded like it also. Then I drove the 6 speed R/T . Sounded and felt much different and I purchased it . I enjoy it . But after two trip's to the track . Both 1/4 and 1/8th mile. I'm not very good at the track with the 6 speed. Maybe better the next time with the new tire's I'm putting on soon. I think the auto has the edge for most at the track . But my 6 speed did much better this past winter on snow and ice than my wife's 300C with automatic. And I get better gas mileage also.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Not everyone out there is a Ronnie Sox (actually, in my opinion he was the best and one of the few that could make a four-speed out perform an Automatic nine out of ten times). There is a reason that most racers seem to be using Automatics….most people are just not that good at moving the gears….automatics are more consistent time in and time out.....I'd place my bet on the auto in most cases....

Quick Reply: manual vs automatic