Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

RT questions

Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
ajc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT questions

I am considering the Challenger and would like to ask some questions.

I will be using the car for a daily driver and like to get the RT.

Is the SE much more fuel efficient?
What are some of the actual mpg you are getting with the Hemi?
How does the Challenger handle in the snow (1 to 3 inches)?
Does anyone else use as a daily driver
Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RT questions

For me personally... the R/T all the way. 26 MPG on the open highway and all the fun factor that a 6-speed can give. I wish the SE came with a 6-speed. That would allow more power to the wheels and more fun in the drivers seat But you should test drive them both and make up your own mind. As far as mileage... its close.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Most magazine tests concluded that the R/T is a good balance of performance and fuel efficiency. They said that the SE is somewhat underpowered, but that also depends on your driving style. Not saying anything bad about the SRT at all though. My R/T is my daily driver and I just love it! I'm getting about 16/24. Can't help you with snow though...not enough here!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Drive mine as a daily driver (got 7K+ on her right now and bought her on 12/5/08 with 6 miles on the odometer). I love the R/T. i have no experience with an SE. If it we me (and i am biased a little here) I would go with the RT.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
ajc

Howe many miles do you put on each day?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

My 2 cents. The SE being a 6 banger will get better fuel economy. Being RWD any Challenger may be a "Challenge" to drive in the snow. If you buy an R/T get some beater to drive on the bad weather days!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Haven't driven the SE . But a salesperson told me at another dealer the SE only got 1 more mpg than the 5.7 . I ended up purchasing a 09 R/T 6 speed , Track pack with POS . 20 inch wheel's with Good Year All season tire's in 245/45/20 . I live in Ky. and have driven the car in ice and about 3 inchs of snow this winter alot. Mostly ice . Has really suprised me . The 5.7 has the low RPM pulling power to drive at 1100 rpm in 4th or 5th gear as to conditions. You would not believe how many couldn't believe I was out driving in the snow and ice and not having a problem. I traded my 07 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 and my 06 Miata GT 6 speed with pos on the R/T . Have no regret's at all . I purchased the R/T last Nov. 7th . And now have close to 6000 miles on the car. A average of 20 to 21 mpg with 17.5 as a low with mostly city driving and pedal to the metal several time's ( most of the time to tell the truth ) . And a high of 25.5 driving the 70 mph speed limit and 24.5 on the same road doing 85 to 90 most of the time for a round trip of 120 miles on fill up . Dodge has done a great job with the R/T 6 speed. And plenty of power. Even though I might lust to drive a SRT 6 speed . If you are thinking of a automatic. I also have ( for the wife ) a 06 300C with the older version of the 5.7 Hemi. It does ok in ice and snow . But not as good as my R/T and the R/t get's about 1 more mpg average . But I'm sure the new MDS 5.7 Hemi with automatic does better and more power. I drove a R/T automatic before buying the 6 speed. If you want to cruise very quite the auto exhaust is like my 300 . The 6 speed exhaust sound helped make my decision as did the feel of shifting gears. Wish I had one of each. You can't go wrong with either . The R/T has more trunk room than my 300 also.
ORIGINAL: ajc

I am considering the Challenger and would like to ask some questions.

I will be using the car for a daily driver and like to get the RT.

Is the SE much more fuel efficient?
What are some of the actual mpg you are getting with the Hemi?
How does the Challenger handle in the snow (1 to 3 inches)?
Does anyone else use as a daily driver
Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM

I think it comes down more to the options than the engine. If you want a car with all the bells and whistles, your SE will cost what a stripped down RT will. If you're more in it for the motor than the accessories, go for a stripped down RT (which is what I have and love).

As for weather, I'm damn lucky enough to be able to keep mine off the road in snow, but my wife has a Wagnum, same size, weight, frame as the Challenger, so handling should be near identical, and we use that year round here in Chicago. As long as you get the traction control/ESP option, generally speaking, I'd say go for it. The grocery-getter handles just fine through about any weather we've thrown at it the last 2 winters, including a few times even I wouldn've rather had my Wrangler, but it always came through.

-Rench
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM

My Challenger handled snow pretty good this winter. The factory all seasons are decent plus with the electronic stability control programs there is no need to worry about a rear wheel drive car in the snow anymore.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM

My little light with the skid picture only came on a few times with my 6 speed. I made it come on once or twice just to make sure it was working . It was.
ORIGINAL: mot250

My Challenger handled snow pretty good this winter. The factory all seasons are decent plus with the electronic stability control programs there is no need to worry about a rear wheel drive car in the snow anymore.

Quick Reply: RT questions