Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Blind Spots/sightlines

Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spots/sightlines

Hi All,

I've been waiting for this car for several years now, ever since the Concept took my breath away. I want an R/T, so have waited to sit in any model until now, when I can afford to build one, and I am now re-thinking this completely. For those of you that have one already, how difficult is it to see out the right side of the vehicle? The R/T I sat in had a huge blind spot due to the D-pillar, plus the passenger seat headrest is squarely in the way of the rear window, giving the impression that I can't see out the right side easily when I need to change lanes, back out, etc. How much of an issue is this for any of you?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Blind Spots/sightlines

Since I hadn't driven a new Challenger till the day I went out to pick mine up, I wasn't aware how bad the right blind spot was till I was out in the middle of evening rush hour traffic. I couldn't see ANYTHING out of the right side. I had to pull over into a parking lot and figure out how to lower the headrests and move the right seat forward a bit. That cleared things up enough to be able to see out of the right rear side window.

Admittedly, even with the headrest down, the right blind spot is fairly large. But like with any car, you get used to this quirk fairly quickly and learn to compensate by using the right outside mirror A LOT.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM

That is one of the reasons why the new Challenger (all models) come with an outside right hand mirror as standard....unlike the first Challengers which listed the outside mirror as an option.....It helps....BUT, you must still use care......as the Challenger does have a BIG BLIND SPOT.............
Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Yea, it's got a big old butt!!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Huge blind spot! I have been careless a couple of times and almost ran people off the road. Now I just punch it and move to the right. The 6.1l has enough power that if they were there I am far past them after punching it.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM

I find myself cruising in the right lane when possible and safe for this very reason...unless of course I want to make time.......
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM

I agree! What makes you think anyone is going to get any where near you? I just make sure I know where everyone is and use the gas as needed.

ORIGINAL: rtfromnc

Huge blind spot! I have been careless a couple of times and almost ran people off the road. Now I just punch it and move to the right. The 6.1l has enough power that if they were there I am far past them after punching it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM

blindspot..?? what blindspot..??
Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM

My thoughts:

I don't own one however.... I drove an SE about 2 months ago as the dealer would only let me drive it around the block... I though the blind spots were huge myself and really wondered if I'd want to buy one. I figured when the time came to buy this Spring I'd have to really drive it before I committed. However, about two weeks ago a guy I work with bought an SRT and brought it to work. He knew of my obsession for this car as we have talked about it and I drool over the poster in my office and have several backgrounds on my PC of the new CHallenger. He took me out to lunch and then threw me the keys and said you are driving. I probably drove it 25 miles and quite honestly I thought it wasn't too bad and i drove mostly in town too. I guess it is a comfort thing. I am sure it is going to be a tad harder to drive and you will have to pay attention more but to me it is worth the trade off !
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM

can the backseat head rests be removed?

Quick Reply: Blind Spots/sightlines