Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Manual vs. Automatic

Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

Yes the autostick allows you to choose what gear ratio you want by pushing the lever to the right to upshift and push it to the left to downshift. It is actually a very simple system. It does have its limitations unfortuneatly. It has artifical stupidity (oh I mean artifical intellegence) that will override your decisions sometimes.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Administrator

i know that the early chrsyler autostick models, such as the 300M, had an override system that would only allow you so much control, but in the stratus, i can leave from a stop in gears other than 1st, and it will not shift by itself...i can sit and do burnouts, bouncing off of the rev limiter...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 AM

One of the concerns that I have related to this topic is can I handle the manual. As I ponder on which model to buy, leaning towards the 6.1 but I'm going to see how pricing and the test drive go, I wonder If I will just be doing burnouts with the manual tranny. I have driven fast manuals before with far less than 425 horse and It is hard to pullout from a stop without spinning the tires. This maybe just my problem and maybe I need more practice but is it something that I am concerned with. Auto-stick maybe for me but I do not want to notice any drop in performance and the wife could also drive it if the world was ending, lol.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

One of the concerns that I have related to this topic is can I handle the manual. As I ponder on which model to buy, leaning towards the 6.1 but I'm going to see how pricing and the test drive go, I wonder If I will just be doing burnouts with the manual tranny. I have driven fast manuals before with far less than 425 horse and It is hard to pullout from a stop without spinning the tires. This maybe just my problem and maybe I need more practice but is it something that I am concerned with. Auto-stick maybe for me but I do not want to notice any drop in performance and the wife could also drive it if the world was ending, lol.
Have you ever tried out starting off in a higher gear like second or third? Perhaps this would solve your problem. I heard that some people have done this with Vipers due to the massive torque. The automatic isn't a bad one by any extent of the imagination. It is just a matter of personal preference. I would prefer a manual because I prefer choosing the gear that it is in without artifical stupidity telling me I don't really want to choose that gear.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM

Yes I have pulled out in second, it is much smoother but I also assumed that it was harder on the tranny and the clutch to do that on a consistent basis.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 AM

Purely Preferntial. The autos are so quick and smooth, that unless you are a pro street driver, you are not going to notice much difference. If you are not an experienced road racer, or don't want the power of the stick in your hand, go with the auto.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Talked to the wife last night about this. She has veto power and used it last night when she said we are getting an auto so she can drive it. What could I do, lol?

Auto stick here I come!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

Talked to the wife last night about this. She has veto power and used it last night when she said we are getting an auto so she can drive it. What could I do, lol?

Auto stick here I come!
LOL! Well that is the way a wife can be at times. Good luck to you on the autostick!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-21-2006, 09:50 PM

you got to get a manual with a sports car

teach the wife how to drive manual
she won't be driving your car too often anyway : )
Old 10-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

That is sort of my mentality, plus I'm personally tired of automatics. I want a manual for a while.

BTW erz5005, welcome to the site!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic