Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Manual vs. Automatic

Old 10-22-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

thanks

i had an auto all through high school and some of my friends taught me how to drive manual and i love it
right now (in college) i can't afford a car so i just use a family car on break, but i know that the first car i buy once i graduate will be an manual

i love having control of when the gears shift, helps with mpg too with the way i drive

if only i could afford a challenger straight out of college
Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Manual vs. Automatic

ORIGINAL: erz5005

thanks

i had an auto all through high school and some of my friends taught me how to drive manual and i love it
right now (in college) i can't afford a car so i just use a family car on break, but i know that the first car i buy once i graduate will be an manual

i love having control of when the gears shift, helps with mpg too with the way i drive

if only i could afford a challenger straight out of college
I feel your pain. I think however that I will be able to offer one since I don't have any real debts to pay off and I'm almost done with college. Also, I plan on waiting a few years before getting one.

I prefer the control as well because the area where I currently live is very hilly and somewhat steep. The automatic and cruise control combination constantly wants to down shift which uses up unnecessary gas, plus it can't be good for the transmission. I cure this problem by not using my cruise in this area, but I miss using it all the time like I used to.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Maybe it is youth...

I will dump my $0.02 here about the manual/automatic debate. I loved my '58 Coronet. It had the pushbutton a-466 Torque-Flite, and I put a 727 in when I did the 440 swap. Loved that car! It was a bit of a yacht, and a total pain to deal with sometimes due to her size. My other car was my little Roach, a black 1987 honda CRX (it's moniker fit the car...aptly!). It had a 5-speed, and it was an absolute hoot to drive! Even though I could drive a manual, the little Roach was my first stick car. I enjoyed the hell out this thing. I learned the finer art of manual transmission driving-double clutching, dumping, clutchless shifting...Basically everything a stupid kid does to tear the tranny up. I never had too many problems with it, or driving it. I did have to replace clutch, though. I also lived in Los Angeles, and I spent plenty of time in traffic messes out there. Ya know what? Even with all the traffic, and inability to simply select "D" and forget about it, I still loved it.
Now by reading the posts, even this one, its a no-brainer to guess that you guys are older than me. Maybe it is because I am still young and dumb, energetic, or still skate a lot that it doesn't bother me to drive a heap with a rock-hard clutch in afternoon traffic, but I enjoy every mile I drive, and I wouldn't know what to do without being able to have a range of gears to select or a clutch to burn...

I moved to Arizona last year, sold both cars, and bought a bike. Maybe that is why I am so partial to a manual transmission.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Maybe it is youth...

You might be surprised, kelly. There are a few (such as myself) who might in fact be younger than you. Interesting comparison story.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM

i am younger too
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 PM

How old are you kids?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no kid! I'm a 21 year old, loud mouth, college student with about a year left (Thank God). And how old are you kelly?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Don't take the kid reference as negative, I still get called a kid by my older friends and I laugh. Enjoy it, because you get old quick.

They also call me kiddo sometimes as a slang alternative.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Considering were talking about 1970, you're a kid! I bought my 70 RT/SE in 76, I was 17.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM

18 AND LOVING IT!

freshman at penn state

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic