Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Just wondering what the expected price for the challenger is. I'm 15, turning 16 in December. If the price is ridiculous I will just get a charger or a GT. But I love the style of the Challenger, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the expected price for the car will be.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:35 AM

Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

Just wondering what the expected price for the challenger is. I'm 15, turning 16 in December. If the price is ridiculous I will just get a charger or a GT. But I love the style of the Challenger, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the expected price for the car will be.

Regardless of what the price of these car's will be, I think you'll find the insurance for it at your age even more ridiculous ...sorry to say.

The cards are stacked against younger drivers anymore. Once upon a time ago monthly car loan payments were cheaper than monthly insurance premiums. Unless you a rider on Mom, and Dad's policy it's really tough. My hats off to ya if you can swing it.

BTW expect 35-40K but this is pure speculation.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Rob

No matter what the price I don't think a Challenger for a 15 year old is a good life choice. Way too much power for someone of that age...imho.

No matter if anyone else agrees with me...I still don't think it's wise.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 AM

If it gets to 40..I'll probably get a GT. And why is it not a good life choice? Would the charger be a better life choice?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob

No matter what the price I don't think a Challenger for a 15 year old is a good life choice. Way too much power for someone of that age...imho.

No matter if anyone else agrees with me...I still don't think it's wise.

I agree 100%. I have read horror stories and seen pics of GTO's demolished by younger drivers.

400 + HP is a loaded gun.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM

IMO because lack of experience of driving. I personally don't think a new driver is responsible, or experienced enough to handle a car like this. I would no way let my 16 yr old get a car of this nature. MOST 16 yr olds just don't have the dexterity or experience for it. Sorry this is the way I feel having taught my 27 yr old and 21 yr old how to drive. Call me a cautious Parent.

As far as the Charger... same deal. I also don't know any 16 yr olds that can afford to go in hawk for 40K for a car.

Insurance companies feel the same way.... That's why you can expect to be paying upwards of 400 a month in insurance for it.

I'd be a hypocrite if I'd tell ya I wouldn't want one at 16 though.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age. I'll get one reguardless..
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Gotta agree with GTO Judge. I'm his age, have kids his age, WAS a kid your age....... We've been driving twice as long as you've been talking.
Look, Bud..... As much as we appreciate the Challenger, and enjoy the fact that you do too, the simple fact is that MOST kids your age don't have the experience or attitude to properly handle a car like the Challenger.
Besides the mere expense of the cost of buying the vehicle and insuring it (for someone YOUR age, the premiums would be extrodinary!), the simple fact is MOST 16-20 year olds just don't have the capability of driving the car to it's potential "when appropriate". There's a time and place for everything. Young men your age don't realize that MOST of the time and let testosterone overrule common sense. That fact, along with the addition of alcohol to the mix has put more classic muscle cars in the junk yard than all of the others combined (AND put more young people with bright futures in hospitals, wheelchairs and coffins).

I'll tell you the same thing I told our two oldest sons (2 more yet to get thier permits God help me).
If your first date is with Shania Twain, where do you go from there? Start off with the pretty "girl next door" that you've been looking at all of your life. If she isn't the one for you, start working your way up. No one starts at the top and stays there for very long.
Get yourself a sound, dependable, economical used car to learn on (and have your first accident with) - it's happened that way for MOST of us. I'm not trying to "rain on your parade", and I hope Dodge makes the Challenger long enough so you can get a new one - AFTER you've got a few years behind the wheel under your belt, and you're not a "slave" to the financial burden.

BTW..... both of our sons had major accidents within a year of getting thier licenses. One flipped (not rolled, FLIPPED - end over end) his mother's Saab. The other t-boned another car with his Eclipse. Neither of those cars had the power of the Challenger - Thank God! Both of our sons were very lucky and didn't sustain life threatening injuries. Both were confident in thier skills - before AND after thier accidents - and had been heard to say that they were good drivers.....then again, I can't recall ANYONE EVER saying "I'm a terrible driver".

Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 PM

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age.
If you want a safe car for someone of ANY age, get a Volvo. Yeah, I know - the image thing.
The Charger IS a safe car - we got my wife an R/T last spring. It's also a very powerful car (even the 3.5L V6) - one that could easily get away from ANYONE, let alone someone with little/no driving experience in traffic. And yes, it's listed as a large sedan. Size alone doesn't make it safe, nor does it keep you from making poor decisions. The operator behind the wheel makes a car safe or unsafe through the decisions he/she makes.
I'll get one reguardless..
I knew it all when I was your age too - now my kids know it all and they think I'm a horse's @$$. LOL! If they only knew HALF of what I've forgotten! AND if only I listened to the people that offered ME sound advice when I was thier age, I'd have saved myself a lot of pain, inconvenience, time and money.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age. I'll get one reguardless..

Well, good luck to you. A few words of advice... If you get one, or another other car for that matter, get GAP insurance.
GAP insurance if you do not already know what that is, is simply this...

Say you purchase a Charger for 30K. You take a loan out on it. You total it.. There you are owing a ton of money on it because book value will not be enough to pay the loan off. GAP insurance will cover you. What amount is left over after book value, GAP will cover it leaving you even.

Here is another tid bit.... I am sure you have seen on the news the funny car that went out of control doing a burn out killing 6 injuring 20 plus?? This guy is a pro. He lost it. Just FYI.

Another IMPORTANT piece of advice... whatever you get, a real bad mistake is to go with minimum coverage insurance like Geico or Safe Auto. Saving a few dollars on premiums to make it affordable is cool until you have an accident and find yourself hitting a car that costs 50K and your liability is only good for 20K.

There is a whole host of important decisions that go along with a hot car you are wanting besides getting the keys and driving it.

What do mom and dad think about it?

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?