Notices
Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going Forced Induction.

(Forced) Induction System Options

Old 12-24-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Forced) Induction System Options

Supercharger:
For the 5.7L;
http://www.fasthemis.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=323
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=14691
For the 6.1L;
http://www.fasthemis.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=321

Nitrous Bottle system for modern HEMI's:
http://www.zex.com/Products/NitrousO...rgerMagnum.asp

Turbo:
http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

As with ANY engine modifications, DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING and avoid disappointment, costly repairs/replacement of expensive parts and voiding your warranty.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Default RE: (Forced) Induction System Options

Think I put this in the wrong area - should be for new HEMI's, NOT the 1970-1974 Challengers.
DOH!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have looked into the STSTurbo, supercharger and centrifugal.

I have to wait and see what is available after the Challenger is introduced but I like the
advantages of having a turbo and the STS system address the heat issue by putting it
over the rear axle. I will not get rid of the Flowmaster however. I need the roar of the muscle car.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 AM

I'll be satisfied just having a new Challenger for a while. After some time, I'm sure I'll do something to rejuvinate/reinvigorate my passion for the car - maybe when I've had it for a couple of years and know exactly where I want to make changes / improvements.

Turbos and Nitrous are a leg up on Superchargers (to me) since they're more "on demand", while a supercharger is "on all of the time". Gas mileage is worse with a supercharger, but there's no noticible "lag" or "surge" like there is with the other two. However, I'm under the impression that this too depends on how the systems are set up.

I'll do much more research before I consider doing anything to my baby. I won't do a "half-@$$ed" installation of any kind, regardless.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

maybe when I've had it for a couple of years and know exactly where I want to make changes / improvements.
BootCamp, I agree with that. It will probably be a couple of years before they have some good solid aftermarket forced induction systems
available for the Challenger that have some history with that car that I will be comfortable putting in.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

i feel that this car is hitting the streets with a full complement of available modifications, thanks to the LX cars.

i also feel that too many people instantly flock to forced induction for power, but they arent prepared for the amount of work required to get the most out of their forced induction setup.

the STS setup is nice, but having the turbo that far from the entry point to the engine brings up two issues. the first is boost loss. my turbo on my laser is only a few feet of piping from the throttle body, but if i measure boost at the housing, and measure boost at the throttle body, there is a difference...now imagine if that boost is forced to travel from the rear diff to the throttle body mounted at the front of the engine bay. throw an intercooler into that, and there is a fair amount of boost loss. the next problem is lag. lag is caused by the fact that the turbo needs to "spool" by means of exhaust pressure, so it takes some rpm before it creates boost. much like the boost loss created by the length of tubing, the boost being created is not only lagged during the process of spooling the turbo, but also in traveling from the compressor to the throttle body.

i was reading the other day about the supercharger setup on the new ZR1, and it is almost as efficient as many turbo setups.

nitrous is the most effective of the forced induction setups, but it is also something that "runs out", and there are far more variables with nitrous, such as bottle pressure...so tuning is a very important issue, as the nitrous can lean an engine in a hurry. ive heard quite a few stories about how people were "Safely running a 75 shot" on new hemi engines, only to cook the motor. a very basic nitrous kit put a friends STOCK 1995 4 cylinder 5 speed chrysler sebring into the high 14s...running a 65 shot.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Nitrous will never be an option for me as I do not want the hastle of filling up on nitrous.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm not a proponent of anything that's "one size fits all" or "universal".

Feedback and opinions expressed in this forum are an important part of my "thorough research". I don't accept or dismiss anything on a single opinion. It will take a good deal of evidence/facts before I dismiss or believe anything.
Fools rush in.....
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

bootcamp, do you mean nitrous, or do you mean the performance stuff from the LX cars fitting the challenger?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

i feel that this car is hitting the streets with a full complement of available modifications, thanks to the LX cars.
Dodge Ram Hemi Tuning

There are several companies that are attempting to tune the Ram Hemi, however we are not currently aware of any companies that reflash the PCM with a new tune.

The best options currently available for Dodge Ram tuning are "piggyback" solutions such as the SMT6, Roe Vec II and Unichip.

Call 866-WE-TURBO to find out more recommendations on companies that have successfully tuned the Hemi using one of these solutions.

The STS website had this to say and as such I will wait until solutions that have a history are in place before I make any decisions.

Quick Reply: (Forced) Induction System Options