Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

08 Dodge Avenger remote start

Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Dodge Avenger remote start

I have a question about the remote start on the 08 Avenger, hence the title. When you order this from Mopar, as it is not on this vehicle, does it come with a univseral keyfob, in other words the same one that comes with the Dodge Ram, Jeep Cherokee and the rest of the Chyrsler lineup, or is it one that's specific to the Avenger? I ask this because I found one that is suppose to be for the Avenger, but I don't see the trunk release button on it.

I would like to know this for sure before I order it because the Avenger doesn't have a key hole in the trunk. Eliminating the passenger side key hole is bad enough, but getting rid of the trunk key hole? That's going a bit far. Most people have keyless entry, but if you run into a situation like this, you're kind of stuck making a decision.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 08 Dodge Avenger remote start

My memory might be incorrect about this one, but I remember the Avenger having a metal key. I don't know about the remote start as it was only a test drive. I hear you about the concern about not having a key to unlock the car when the battery goes dead, or the power locks break (as what has happened on my car), or countless other scenarios that could make a seemingly flawless plan to the designers lead to disastrous consequences without a back up plan which causes results like the decaying mass at the bottom of the Atlantic that was "Unsinkable" which killed more than half the crew due to lack of a proper back up plan. Funny how cost saving and lack of thinking about the worst case scenario hasn't dawned yet on manufactures nearly one hundred years after such an example of the importance of a back up plan.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Well, I was finally able to get a response from the person that was selling the remote start. After I got the response it disappeared, or I should say was sold. How nice. Apparently the keys are vehicle specific and have buttons that corrospond to the vehicle. So if you have a Ram then obviously it won't have the trunk release, but if you have an Avenger, then it should be on there.

The irony of not having a key hole on the trunk is that that is where most people keep their jumper cables. Your battery dies then obviously no keyless entry and I'm sure the button on the inside to open it doesn't work either. Guess that leaves granny to crawl in through the back seats that fold down.

Yes, in this day and time it's about how cheap we can make things, not about what if this happens. Pretty much exactly what sunk the unsinkable back in the day, though that thinking was based off of stupidity rather then how can we save money.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Axel

Well, I was finally able to get a response from the person that was selling the remote start. After I got the response it disappeared, or I should say was sold. How nice. Apparently the keys are vehicle specific and have buttons that corrospond to the vehicle. So if you have a Ram then obviously it won't have the trunk release, but if you have an Avenger, then it should be on there.

The irony of not having a key hole on the trunk is that that is where most people keep their jumper cables. Your battery dies then obviously no keyless entry and I'm sure the button on the inside to open it doesn't work either. Guess that leaves granny to crawl in through the back seats that fold down.

Yes, in this day and time it's about how cheap we can make things, not about what if this happens. Pretty much exactly what sunk the unsinkable back in the day, though that thinking was based off of stupidity rather then how can we save money.
That's precisely what I was thinking about. If the battery is dead, how will you be able to get the jumper cables out? What I think some of the thinking is that if the battery does go dead is you will have to call up the dealer or AAA. The problem is not everyone will have a phone when they need it as it might be locked in the car and thanks to the fact that pay phones keep disappearing, your up a creek. I wish they would stop depending so much on technology and think ahead. If I was the head of a business, I would have a picture displayed of the "Unsinkable" ship with the saying "The White Star Line Law: Nothing will go wrong, but if it does we're sure technology will save us and our products."

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM

I haven't seen a car like that yet, but I would imagine that it won't be long before they take the lock off the driver side also. Let's see, started with the back, or did the back ever have key holes, then they decided to take it off the passenger side, I'm sure that saves them some money, but come on, and now they have the trunk. The only thing left is the driver side. Should save them quite a bit of money. Waiting for that day to come.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't seen a car like that yet, but I would imagine that it won't be long before they take the lock off the driver side also. Let's see, started with the back, or did the back ever have key holes, then they decided to take it off the passenger side, I'm sure that saves them some money, but come on, and now they have the trunk. The only thing left is the driver side. Should save them quite a bit of money. Waiting for that day to come.
I know my aunt's new G35X uses a fob and instead of having a hole it has some sort of button, but I'm sure that did little to help her this week when either her battery or alternator went out on her. Don't you just love blindly trusting technology?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Oh yeah, now that I think of it, I believe I know what you are talking about. I think I've seen some commercials on that or something, where you just walk to the car and open it with a button as long as the keyfob is in the close vecinity. The only thing I could think was, are you serious?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, now that I think of it, I believe I know what you are talking about. I think I've seen some commercials on that or something, where you just walk to the car and open it with a button as long as the keyfob is in the close vecinity. The only thing I could think was, are you serious?
I know what your thinking. It reminds me of when I graduated from H.S. and my aunt and uncle on the other side accidently locked their keys in their Grand Marquis and left their lights on. If they wouldn't have locked their keys in their car, they could have used the number pad code thing and unlocked the door, but since the battery was dead it was worthless. Then because they designed those cars to be so hard to break into, it took forever for the guy from AAA to pick the lock. The people that design these things need to have these things go out on them a few times so then they can see whether something is a good or bad idea.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Yeah, no kidding. Instead it's, "this sounds like a good idea," and they put it into play without fully considering the consequences if something were to go wrong with that good idea. Your battery is dead in your keyfob so now you can't get into your car until you get a new battery. Let's just hope you are near a store that would carry it, or near a store at all for that matter. Now instead of locking your keys in your car, you keys lock you out of your car.