I have some serious axle wrap going on in my '73 340 4spd when I light them up. I believe the issue is radial tires vs. the polyglas it was originally equipped with. Anyone else had similar issues? I really hate to go through the effort of adding a leaf or new springs, but may have to. I have already tried a different pinion snubber, but no difference.
I had this problem back in the 70s with my 72 340 4-speed. The solution I used was a set of traction action traction bars. They had adjustable bumpers on them and man did they stop the wheel hop. I'm supprised the pinion snubber did'nt fix the problem. Did you adjust it to a few different settings?
Do you have the XHD leaf springs on your car? It you've never replaced them i think the non R/T's had a couple less leafs on them.
I used to have traction bars on mine when I had my old leaf springs on, and it made a huge difference. Now that I replaced by mine to the XHD, i didn't put traction bars back on. I've only ran it hard a couple of times since the replacement, and I have very little wheel hop.
Thanks for both posts. I thought of traction bars but wanted to avoid anything that strayed from stock as the Chally has been restored to stock appearance. I have not explored XHD springs which sounds like a good approach as my "eye ball" look had netted less leafs than i expected. And I also noted no difference in leaf counts from left side to right, unlike my road runner for torque compensation. I would hope i could just "add" leafs as opposed to doing the whole sets on both sides.
There is a difference between the left and right springs. I'm not sure how much add a leafs are, but I would think it's pretty close to just buying them brand new
I bought mine from summit for like $200 and I also got poly bushing for the front and rear(roughly $60). The front bushing are already installed with rubber and was a PIA to get them out, if you choose to put poly in there instead. If you need some direction on removing them let me know, it's not bad if you don't try to rush it. I had the springs out and replaced in a couple of hours, but it was raining that day, so it took longer. The main thing is to jack up the car then put jack stands right in front of the leaf springs and behind on both sides. The put the jack up the differental a little, so you take the load off of the springs.
When I went to take them back off to put the rear poly bushing in i only jacked up the axle. As I was taking off the U bolts with an impact, the car unsprung and nearly took off my thumb stupid me!
Good idea on the springs... that should solve the problem. I will have to see what if any problems I will have with the extra HP I will have with the 340. Less than $300 and a few hours work, sounds like the way to go.