Thread: 3.55 Gear Swap

cfan is offline Member

Default 3.55 Gear Swap

Hello Challenger fans, awhile back I bought a spare differential to put the new richmond 3.55 ring and pinion in.....after a long and educational experience...I got it put together. WARNING !!!! IF YOU DAMAGE THE PINION BEARING taking it off the original pinion....YOU CAN NOT GET A NEW ONE-----PERIOD! Since Dodge owes Mercedes some money...due to the Bankruptcy...there is a LOCK OUT on the sale of that bearing. Oh there is a number on that bearing...you just can't get it.....Dodge can't get it for you. The good news is there is a bearing that is reeeeal close..but machining to the pinion and diff housing is required.It's a great swap for performance...just prepare yourself for the extra work

Thor77 is offline Senior Member

sounds like that was a lot of fun! Glad it worked out in the end. I'm assuming you have the auto so 3.55 is a larger number/shorter gear?

cfan is offline Member

Thor, You're correct..I have the auto. Some guys think putting in the getrag 3.73 or 3.91 from the 6speed cars would be good...WRONG...the 6speed has a 3.00 first gear..the auto has a 3.58 first gear which would make the 3.91's act like a 5.13 axle. The 3.23 would probably be the best all around gear for the auto so I'm going to build that rear end next

cfan is offline Member

Hey Challenger fans, I finally got the rearend installed....I've only put 130 miles on it so far. I've noticed quicker shift points and an increase of 500 rpm at cruising speed(75).So far I like it. At the end of this month is the last race of the year....I'll let you know the gain in ET.

cfan is offline Member

Default 6 Tenths---3.55 gear

Well the racing season is over and the 09 5.7 Hemi gained 1.2 seconds under stock ET in the quarter mile---6 tenths came from the gear swap. The car drives better in all aspects but you do lose 4-5 miles per gal. It's worth it to me..

Thor77 is offline Senior Member

Congratulations, knocking off 1.2 from the ET in one season of racing is very nice. Good to see you are putting the car to good use

cfan is offline Member

Thanks Thor, I'm deffinently happy with the mods. The parts totaled about 2500 dollars w/gear and all other bolt ons....the cars engine and drivability is improved with no ill effects,codes, or loss of comfort. At the track they see the R/T badge and it suprises alot of SRT's,SS's & GT's.....after all..everyone knows (according to Motor Trend,Hot Rod,Speed TV) the 5.7 auto is a dog

canadiancanuck is offline Senior Member

I just swapped mine out for a 3.64 on my SXT, should have better takeoff now for luanches, this matched with heads and cam install, the lil V6 will go.
    disappointed.... bought a lemon and all Chrysler did was hand me the strainer to make lemon aid.