Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/)
-   -   Value of my '72 (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/value-my-72-a-1795/)

topbanana 09-19-2007 05:23 AM

Value of my '72

I am the original owner of my 1972 Challenger Rallye 340 4 barrel with slap stick auto trans. I have always planned to restore the car but, unfortunately, I have lost interest in doing anything to it. I want to sell it, but have no idea what kind of money to expect. I have friends who who have suggested anywhere from $15,000 to $35,000 - so I would appreciate some honest opinions. The car is top banana yellow with black "fade away" side stripes, black vinyl top, black vinyl seats (front seat were reupholstered 30 years ago and the driver's seat has small tears and rear seat is good to excellent); carpet is original but in good/fair condition; 95,000 original miles; the engine is original except for chrome valve covers I added 32 years ago - it even has the original electronic ignition and distributor; I had a rebuilt transmission installed that has less than 1,000 miles on it now; front fenders were replaced 30 years ago; body has minimal rust; trunk pan is good; I have the original rallye wheels but have had Crager mags on it for 34 years; the car still looks great and always gets compliments when I have it out for a spin; it stills gets up and goes!
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paladin06 09-19-2007 05:52 AM

RE: Value of my '72

I would suggest you check E-Bay for similiar cars and posting pics would really help.

lear4406 09-19-2007 09:57 AM

Its really hard to say, but if you want to sell it, then now is the time. E-Bay might be a good place, these cars are red hot right now. But when the 2008s come out things might slow down some. Sounds like you should do rather nicely on the price. Put the ralleys on it and throw in the Cragers with the deal. Try to give as much info as possible and a few pics of the car. Engine, body and interior. Good luck!:)

McDonald 09-19-2007 01:51 PM

I disagree Lear i believe when the 2008's come out they will go up in price.

lear4406 09-19-2007 05:14 PM

You may be right about the price... but the attention will be on the new Challengers. And how do I get one? But on the other hand I hope your right, because I own a 71 and its nice to know that hanging on to it all these years makes me look smart;) And all the folks who said sell that gas hog... well... dumb!:D I guess we'll have to wait and see.

McDonald 09-19-2007 07:33 PM

Yep we'll just have to wait and see.. :)

FRECSF 09-27-2007 10:03 AM

For some, you will never be able to replace the classic Dodge Challenger. For others that do not have a place in their heart for classic's, the new Challenger will be the car they give their money and attention to. I'm cool with that, however, it leaves us free to wonder what effect the new Challenger will have on the value of the classic Challenger. I have asked a lot of people, most of which are classic lovers so their opinion may not reflect everyones. Some of the best arguments that I have heard to support the fact that the new Challenger will not have a negative effect the classic Challenger value is;

1. The classic's will never be made again, period...
2. Classic Mustangs and Camaros still hold their value, why would the Challenger be any different?
3. Classic's don't face the same emmision restrictions making them easier to modify and customize.
4. With the price of new cars today you could purchase a really nice classic that is an investment and not a liability. What do you believe 45 - 50K will buy in the classic car world today?

Plus, for those who has not had a chance to drive a classic Challenger, you would NOT believe the attention these cars get. Some this attention will go down once the new one's hit the market because they will become more reconizable to the general public. Right now, the only time I ever see a classic Challenger is at a car show, I hardly ever see one on the road.

RoswellGrey 09-27-2007 12:35 PM

That last statement is VERY true. After 2000 or so, they virtually disappeared from the streets. I used to see one a guy who works at a body shop near my place of employment drove while he was restoring it, but once he got done about a year ago, it apparently never leaves his house anymore. That's actually a pity. Why have something and not be able to enjoy it?

FRECSF 09-27-2007 05:25 PM

I drive mine every chance I get. And I hammer it, no reason to baby it. I restored it myself putting a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money in it and I'm going to drive it.

lear4406 09-28-2007 08:43 AM

Nice car, welcome to the sight. Drive it we should. I drive mine every day off that I have and always am I greeted with a positive comment. Enjoy the ride, its one of the last American traditions they have not taken from us. Though... they did try. Ever seen a no cruising sign around town? Man how they tried.