Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-13/)
-   -   raising the rear end? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-13/raising-rear-end-7472/)

moparmike63 04-11-2010 12:59 PM

raising the rear end?

Has anybody raised their rear end, on their Challenger, I think it would look better if the rear was raised up about an inch or two, you know old skool look. If so is it and easy Mod? :o

cfan 04-11-2010 02:33 PM

Raising the rear

1 Attachment(s)
Hey moparmike--check out the photos I just posted--I raised my backend enough to fit 285/40/22 Nittos.;);)

BLK 6050 04-12-2010 11:32 AM

Nice rear window louvers....they look really good with your rear wing...............

cfan 04-12-2010 12:44 PM

Rear Louvers

Thanks to you Joe----I was able to find and purchase them:D:D

lear4406 04-13-2010 12:16 AM

I put the Eibachs on my R/T and it lowered the front a little more than the back and now has that old school rack that we all loved in the 70s. Nice cars by the way... awsome... totally awsome.

PlmCrazy 05-01-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by moparmike63 (Post 75001)
Has anybody raised their rear end, on their Challenger, I think it would look better if the rear was raised up about an inch or two, you know old skool look. If so is it and easy Mod? :o

Best way is to buy a some Eibach or similar lowering springs and just use the front ones since I've not seen them for sale in pairs, only full sets.

Back in da-day one of the cheap ways was Air-Shocks :( However, the best way was to pull off your front springs a cut out a coil or two. Only problem was time & screw-ups, especialy if you took off to much :eek:

I've got a set of take-off springs from my `10 R/T that have less then 400 miles on em if your interested in buying them & tring the cut route without touching your originals. Probably any decent Speed Shop Garage can help you out with both the cut & swap.

moparmike63 05-14-2010 04:32 PM

Has anybody tried to raise their rear end by putting coil spring spacers in between the coils on the rear? I remember this used to work on older cars, you jack the car up from the rear and then the coil springs seperate, then you put the spacers, which were made out of hard rubber or metal in between the coils and then you lower the cars, and since the coils can't compress to where they were because of the spacers the cars is raised up a bit! The ride may be a little rougher. Just curious if anyone has tried this, I am thinking about giving it a shot. ;)

PlmCrazy 05-15-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by moparmike63 (Post 75375)
Has anybody tried to raise their rear end by putting coil spring spacers in between the coils on the rear? I remember this used to work on older cars, you jack the car up from the rear and then the coil springs seperate, then you put the spacers, which were made out of hard rubber or metal in between the coils and then you lower the cars, and since the coils can't compress to where they were because of the spacers the cars is raised up a bit! The ride may be a little rougher. Just curious if anyone has tried this, I am thinking about giving it a shot. ;)

You'll be sorry. Your butt is going to end up Bunny Hopping over every expansion joint in the highway.:eek:

There were also compression pieces that you could use on the front springs compressing two coils together, neither really worked all that well.

RoswellGrey 05-15-2010 10:41 AM

OK, I gotta ask: Those of you who've raised the rear end (or lowered the front), can you see ANYTHING behind you? Even with nothing at all done to it, the rear of the third-gen Challenger sits so high that it's hard to see what's behind you. Jokes aside, you do have to worry about such mundane things as parallel parking in front of Mazda Miatas or having errant neighborhood children wandering behind the car as you're getting ready to back up.

PlmCrazy 05-16-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by RoswellGrey (Post 75390)
OK, I gotta ask: Those of you who've raised the rear end (or lowered the front), can you see ANYTHING behind you? Even with nothing at all done to it, the rear of the third-gen Challenger sits so high that it's hard to see what's behind you. Jokes aside, you do have to worry about such mundane things as parallel parking in front of Mazda Miatas or having errant neighborhood children wandering behind the car as you're getting ready to back up.

I lowered mine all the way around by the way of Eibach Springs, Dampners, and heavy duty adjustable sway bars front & rear. It certainly wasn't the easiest car to backup prior to that, and it didn't get any better afterward either. I'm changing out my Head-Unit for a top of the line Pioneer 7" Screen GPS/DVD so I think I'm going to add a backup camera into the setup.:cool: