Notices
Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going Forced Induction.

Supercharging the new Challenger

Old 01-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging the new Challenger

Yes to start the pony war and do it like in the 70's, the new Dodge Challenger will need some sort of forced induction to keep up with the new GT500 Shelby Cobra Mustang. Unfortunatly, supercharging the Hemi may be difficult because of the high compression ratio. They also somehow need to reduce the weight to help with the horsepower/weight ratio. Dodge needs to work on increasing the horsepower to keep up with the Mustang as it is a slightly lighter car.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Supercharging the new Challenger

true, but the GT500 is a factory forced induction car, and isnt all that much faster than the estimated performance numbers of the challenger...we wont actually know until both of these cars hit the streets...

that being said, there are already companies developing forced induction setups for the SRT8 engines, and there are several available, both turbo and superchargers, available for the 5.7. With the steep compression, it wont allow you to run much boost with a blower, but even with boosting to, say, 6 psi, a 425hp engine is conceptually looking to gain 180ish bhp, minus parasitic loss. mind you, that is a very rough estimate, but even if we say that 6 psi will give it 100bhp, youre at 525 now, and youre taking a nice chunk out of the GT500s pride.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I liked what you had to say. Unfortunately the horsepower rating of the Mustang keeps changing. I am not sure what it will wind up with. Here is a magaqine quote " In place of the standard Mustang GT's 300-hp, 4.6-liter V-8, the GT500 uses a 5.4-liter engine, supercharged for an estimated 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque, hooked up to a six-speed manual gearbox." I have also heard 475 horsepower also. At any rate, I look forward to what Dodge is going to do.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator

i have access to a certain car magazine prior to its release, and i obviously can not elaborate on what right now, but it says that the new GT500 is indeed 475 hp...as soon as i have the go ahead to post it, i will do so, as the challenger is involved.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

The acceleration numbers seem to be similar between the two. In an earlier Motor Trend review that I was telling some people at DF about, they found that the 6.1L accutally produces around 467 hp. This might explain why it is so close. Offering the rumored 392 HEMI would be another nice option. As far as supercharging goes. They could lower the compression ratio a little to get the desired power. A 10.3 to 1 compression ratio is not too high in comparison to what GM is doing to the Z06 Corvette (11.0 to 1), but then again, Chrysler tends to care more about their engines actually staying together than GM does.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

even with a 345hp 5.7 hemi, it would be nicely comptitive with the various current rwd performance cars, shy of the z06 and gt500

i also dont buy into 425hp and a 6 speed turning 13.00...
Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

The acceleration numbers seem to be similar between the two. In an earlier Motor Trend review that I was telling some people at DF about, they found that the 6.1L accutally produces around 467 hp. This might explain why it is so close. Offering the rumored 392 HEMI would be another nice option. As far as supercharging goes. They could lower the compression ratio a little to get the desired power. A 10.3 to 1 compression ratio is not too high in comparison to what GM is doing to the Z06 Corvette (11.0 to 1), but then again, Chrysler tends to care more about their engines actually staying together than GM does.
Is that the CR for the Hemi engines? 10.3:1?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

CR of the 5.7= 9.6 : 1
Cr of the 6.1= 10.3 : 1
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 AM

The Dodge Hemi Superchargers are ready and waiting.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=131

Up to 400rwhp on 6psi Kit (Will adapt to stock Vehicle)
Up to 500rwhp on 8-10psi upgrade kit (Dyno Tuning is needed)
Old 01-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

but 8-10 psi is running pretty steep on a stock 10.3 to 1 engine...

also, those HP numbers are whp, from what vehicle? different vehicles are more or less efficient as pertaining to rwhp.

standard air pressure is 13.8, i believe. so every 13.8 psi added by forced induction will, in theory, double the horsepower, but this does not take into account any type of parasitic loss or basic drivetrain loss. so, if you use the assumption (which i reiterate that is not by any means perfect), that x=14psi, and y=psi produced by the blower without loss of any kind, and z=stock bhp, you would get this, solving for B

(y/x+1)*z=B

say youre making 5psi, on a 100hp motor, then you would have this:
(5/14+1)*100=135.7bhp

so, running 10psi on a 425hp motor, would give you this.
(10/14+1)*425=728.57bhp

now, figure that the car has a 25% drivetrain loss...so 728.57*.75=546.43whp, minus the power eaten by the supercharger (parasitic loss).

i dont recall roughly how much power the blower itself eats, but i seem to recall that someone did a test with a C5 corvette with a 325hp LS1 (i think), and at 3psi, the supercharged car was making the same amount of RWHP as it did prior to the blower being fitted up. so, assuming that the first three psi of boost is making the hp needed to spin the supercharger, you would be running 7 pounds of "useful" boost, so
[(7/14+1)*425]*.75=478rwhp.

mind you, this is all very conceptual, and there are SO many variables that without an engine dyno, it is little more than an educated guess. i higher hp engine will make more boost with the first 3psi of boost that the corvette used to "turn" the blower...so it woudl take less effort by the motor, thus freeing up more WHP.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the new Challenger