Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

new here (my obsessions )

Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here (my obsessions )

Let me start with an introduction. I am 42 and male. And I am obsessed with Challengers. I live in Pasadena Maryland USA. That’s just south of Baltimore. I have lived in this area all my life. My love of cars had to start with my brother. He was older and had a 73 chevell. I had to help whenever he needed it. Or at least I would try to help. Now I didn’t really like his brand cars at all, because they were “his”. I would help him and get yelled at for not getting something right. I was very young, but the mechanical stuff in cars seemed so easy. As I got older, I learned more and more. And got yelled at a little less. We always had some kind of junk in the yard to be fixed or scrapped. Old trucks and cars, always something out there.

Then came the day of my first car. An old man that my brother did work for was selling his car. A 69 ford falcon 302 boss. It was a 3 speed and it was cheep. I thought OK this could work. But before I ever drove it my brother sold it. It was ok with me; I was still too young and I really didn’t like it that much anyway.

Now, on to the good stuff. It was 1982 time to really get my first car. I didn’t care what brand it was. I looked at many cars. Then I found it, a 1974 Charger. Red with white top/int, it had a 318/727/ac/pb/ps/rallye dash, console, and bubble hood w/pins. This started a Charger obsession. I put mags on it and started driving. This thing ran bad but looked good. The original owner had done nothing to it. So now it’s my turn, I get a 73 Coronet for parts. The 318 from the 73 ran great. So it went in the Charger. Along came a set of gears and a posi. As parts flew so did what little money I had. Over time that Charger turned into an incredible car.

Then after about 2 ½ years I totaled it. Them oak trees just don’t move out of the way. So the search was on for another. It was a black s/e 74 Charger. So parts moved from the totaled car to this one. Never got it legal, the guy I got it from could not get the title. So the hunt was on again.

A green 1971 Charger 500 was found. So parts got moved again. Also many parts cars were found. This is where the E-bodies start to get to me. I got a 70 cuda from a friend. He just hit a phone pole and wiped the front clip. This car was in bad shape, so it gave up its 8 ¾ posi and then it was gone. Next the first of the 71 Challengers was found. This car was in the junkyard when I went looking for drums for the Charger 500. It just came in and as only missing the engine. I bought it on the spot. I started to fix it, but money and then time ran out for me. This one had to go too. It was sad this car was blue with black interior and was very nice. And it was this car that started the Challenger obsession.

By this time I was in my early 20’s. Got married had our first child and was always broke. My wife had a 1975 Charger when we got married. It gave up its engine so the 500 could live some more. Somehow I managed to get enough cash to get another 71 Challenger. This one is green. This is my parts car now. But back then I had plans for this one. I had parts from 2 other E-bodies and parts from the chargers and thought, “I can fix this”. The plan was add roll cage, tubs, narrowed rear in a street car. And have fun. But life happens. We bought a house that needed a lot of work. I lost some jobs and the years past. Then we had another child. The Charger 500 with over 260,000 miles was driven into the ground. Still broke we got a K car from my mother, then a few years latter a 2.2 Charger and a small pickup truck from my wife’s parents. Life was not so easy.

When I finally got back to the green Challenger the years of neglect showed. I was working on it one day and this guy pulls in with an orange 71 Challenger. He wanted to buy parts. I sold some stuff and we became new friends. Looking at a local newspaper one day, I think I found another 71 Challenger. I called the number in the paper and my new friend with the orange c
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Default RE: new here (my obsessions )

Welcome to the club.. You'll find good people here and all with the same passion you have.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator

welcome to the forum!!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Welcome
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Diehard MOPAR, I like that! You're among friends here.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I want one of these new ones too. I am just an average guy, with an obsession.
I just hope my obsession don't break the bank.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Hey dude, welcome to the site!