Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Jumping the Tracks

Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Jumping the Tracks

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Jumping the Tracks
'70 Dodge Challenger • First Production XV Motorsports No. XV001 • 21st Century Powertrain and Suspension

By Kevin Shaw
Photography: Dave Franks, James Grout
Mopar Muscle, July 2007

Dodge's '70 E-Body could be dressed with a variety of diverse packages: SE, R/T, T/A, and-now expected in 2008-the SRT-8. XV Motorsports in Irvington, New York, has made it their mission to convert their shop into the end-all facility for classic Mopar modernization. their web site states, "Our prospect is simple: take the hottest classic Mopar musclecars and apply the finest state-of-the-art engineering and technology. The result? A modern supercar with head-turning style, mind-bending performance, corner-carving handling, reliability, and modern creature comforts. Cars that can be used as a reliable daily driver, run competitively in open track events, or trounce on many of today's most exotic performance cars."

But it's not all high-tech suspension components, monster braking systems, or computer-blueprinted, heavily engineered new-generation Hemi conversions. Much of XV Motorsports resources are applied to building "highly select, original, and unmodified musclecars" that appeal to the private collector or long-time enthusiasts wanting to recapture a little bit of their youth. As the company pursues the "raw materials" to build their tailored, high-tech Mopars, it comes across many rare and collectible musclecars, including some unmolested "survivors." As such cars grow increasingly scarcer, the preservation and restoration of these vehicles helps to retain the hobby's true roots, but it's the development of the brand's own variation on the supercar that draws the younger generation's attention.

Targeting the two most readily accessible platforms-the '68-'70 B-Body and the '70-'74 E-Body-XV is revolutionizing the performance and modification market. With nearly everything needed to complete a project Mopar available for a fee and given the influx of aftermarket suppliers, restoring one of these vehicles has become nearly pain free. But the metamorphosis of one of these machines from a stocker to a course carver is a totally different venture.

XV had to start from the ground floor and work its way up when it came to producing replacement suspension and driveline components that would not only pass computer simulations and road testing, but also have the capibility to be installed by the motivated do-it-yourselfer. This sent the designers and engineers at XV to the drawing boards. Wanting to make 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi swaps as accessible as possible, XV started by reconfiguring the factory K-frame, which in turn led to the redesign of the factory suspension structuring. Boxed upper and lower A-arms, adjustable coilover shocks, a personally crafted antisway bar, rack-and-pinion steering, aluminum spindles and K-frame compose the front package made for both the B- and E-Body applications. The rears would get the same attention with a three-link, coilover shocks, rear sway bar, and heavy-duty leaves.

Available as separate packages or as a complete set, the suspension package would be incomplete without XV's chassis stiffening equipment, including laser-cut subframe connectors, lower radiator supports, framerail connectors, and a precision inner-fender shock tower brace.

What is found between the shock towers distinguishes the XV brand from the rest of the custom builders. XV not only mastered the installation of the next-gen Hemi, but also the tuning of said powerplant. The shop learned how to eke out the most power and reliability available from the 5.7L, leaving them with three different variations of the cross-platform engine. With a beginning choice of a 360, 440, or 485hp 5.7, a potential buyer can also pick from a 525- or 600-horse 6.1L.

XV's engines are fitted with custom-crafted forged
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Jumping the Tracks

The second most potent plant available from the company, this number one production supercar is stocked with XV's modified 5.7L Hemi pushing out 440 horses. This is thanks in part to custom-forged pistons, ARP bolts, a single-plane intake, a four-barrel throttle body, trick exhaust, and a custom-ground camshaft. You can have a 5.7L or a SRT-style 6.1L, which when fully outfitted can make 600 hp!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/1B50E1F86B9B4DD081977610938E3D6C.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Front

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/7DF63E7064EE407DA61108523329FB4E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Rear

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/C088C1A0A3D741778B35C27666497283.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Front Suspension

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/E93854AA4B4B4AECAF9DCCB210618F7E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

XV Motorsports 1970 Dodge Challenger - Carving The Corners

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/665E58E80BBD4AEEBD5D88C3FB71C7CA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

The blue and red LED lights on the custom silver-face gauges are only a small portion of the trick interior. Black leather abounds in this E-Body, covering the seats, door panels, kick panels, quarter-window panels, center console, steering wheel, and dash.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/0B939C804CDE4178B08C44175E389D23.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

The three-link rear suspension is totally custom and engineered in-house at XV Motorsport's shop in New York. billet aluminum lower links and adjustable upper link, adjustable coilover shock absorbers, and a custom rear antiroll bar keeps the rear meats planted.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/8365367EC96C4802B9675EDA2C9FA805.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

The all-aluminum K-frame was engineered to house the new-generation Hemi, as well as provide a sturdy platform for the newly restructured suspension system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/7C15A423F63245B79924324D2F9EEA24.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 AM

They just had this set-up in the new mopar muscle for the July issue. I will say it's an awesome design, they are getting better at there engineering over the past couple of years. The only thing I don't like is that you have to put a shock tower braces over your engine compartment, to help assist all of the unsprung weight of the engine. When someone pops the hood of their car, I personally like to just see the engine, not bars everywhere, Again my personal opinion. For perforamance perposes, they probably have one of the best systems out on the market.

I would like to see the XV, alterkation, and air ride Tech do a competition to see which system handles the best. I like air rides 4 link set up, but I don't know how it would compare to XV's 3 link design!