Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

That Road and Track survey of new cars said $30K-$32K starting for the 5.7L and 6.1L... are they usually right??
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

All that makes sense, davecpa, except for one thing: the company "worth over $7.4 billion" was worth $37 billion when Daimler bought it nine years ago.
Yes that is why they can afford to sell the challengers so cheap, because they got such a bargain on the company. [sm=shades.gif]
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 PM

Huh? The company sold for this price because that's all it's worth. As painful as it is to admit Daimler dumped a lagging business unit because they had no confidence left in it. The real cost to Cerberus is not the purchase price but the cost to turn the ship around. They will FAR outspend that 7B over the next couple years.

I am obviously not picking up on the facetious tone of your post cause it's late & I am getting sleepy.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL; WhichOnesTheGas
long story short, whats my price range here? ive been saving up for a few years now to get this car but i keep hearing base is 50 but expect 70 ...i mean come on...id rather get a lexus. IMO

ORIGINAL; wallstreretman
Don't confuse the manufacturer/MSRP with the dealer/Mark-up. This is a supply and demand issue, welcome to the world of Capitalism!
Who said base is $50,000? Base will be about the same as a Charger, with demand being crazy, DEALER MARK-UP may send the price as high as $70,000.

Note the words in caps!

ORIGINAL; RoswellGrey
And again, Senor Wall Street, that's when the wise individual lets the $70,000 Challengers sit until they magically become $31,000 Challengers. Capitalism, after all, is a two-way street.

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!
That Road and Track survey of new cars said $30K-$32K starting for the 5.7L and 6.1L...
I think these statements are right on. When the concept was out / touring for the last year+, all of the indications I saw / read / heard were for an MSRP on the Challenger that was comparable with the Charger. I'm planning on an R/T price coming in in the mid to high 30's with the options I want on it. The applicable "gas guzzler tax" will probably put it around the $40K US mark. I won't get one - regardless of what the dealerships do to drive up the price - simply to be the first to have one. I won't be gouged. I'll follow my personal financial plan and work within my budget - wait if necessary.
Ford Dealerships are having trouble getting rid of Shelby GT500's for MSRP + $20K now. The market has been saturated and those who HAD to have one regardless of the markup are becoming fewer and farther between. Bear in mind that the GT500 is still the only pony car currently available too. With the release of the Challenger and Camaro, the market will tilt (albeit only a bit at first) toward the consumer, who will be more able to bargain. Dealerships will wake up when prospective customers walk off the show room floor to go to the competitor's dealership for their muscle car because they wouldn't be gouged.

ORIGINAL: davecpa
Yes that is why they can afford to sell the challengers so cheap, because they got such a bargain on the company.

ORIGINAL: awsure
Huh? The company sold for this price because that's all it's worth. As painful as it is to admit Daimler dumped a lagging business unit because they had no confidence left in it. The real cost to Cerberus is not the purchase price but the cost to turn the ship around. They will FAR outspend that 7B over the next couple years.
I also agree with the basis of both of these statements. I could be making myself a target by saying this, but I think DCX had no solid business plan in place for Dodge Chrysler Jeep, and expected "market diversity" and a "customer base / loyalty" alone to sustain the Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep divisions. These divisions that DCX neglected and gave "trickle-down, obsolete and dated" (4-5 year old) technology actually needed the same "cutting edge" engineering they put into their Mercedes line to thrive and grow. So Mercedes was relegating their American divisions to a future like that of Plymouth. They drove those divisions into the ground and "dumped" them (at a huge financial loss) when they realized the proverbial horse had gotten too far out of the barn.
Now that Cerberus has the reigns, knowledge and insight into what they have and where they're starting from, and (supposedly) the expertise of people they've put in the appropriate positions, I think we'll see in very short time what the future will bring for Chrysler LLC.
While Dave (WhichOnesTheGas) is a self admitted muscle car fan, most of us here are MOPAR fanatics and would like nothing more than to see Chrysler LLC rise to the top of the heap. Products like the Challenger will get them there [b]with the right mana
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 AM

I am obviously not picking up on the facetious tone of your post cause it's late & I am getting sleepy.
Dude you are right it was a joke. Yes i know i should keep my day job. I just dont take anything i read on this site to serious. Like my mama always said "The proof is in the pudding"... ie we shall all know in about 6 months what the price really is, unitl then i am not worried at all about it. But i do know we will look back at Mr. Wallstreets $70k number and say"what was he smoking?" I also think that if Cerberus does not turn the company around they will sell it to another car company such as Ford... omg... then they can make chally-stang auto
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: davecpa

Dude you are right it was a joke. Yes i know i should keep my day job. I just dont take anything i read on this site to serious. Like my mama always said "The proof is in the pudding"... ie we shall all know in about 6 months what the price really is, unitl then i am not worried at all about it. But i do know we will look back at Mr. Wallstreets $70k number and say"what was he smoking?" I also think that if Cerberus does not turn the company around they will sell it to another car company such as Ford... omg... then they can make chally-stang auto
in red, amen!

as for the comments in blue, i think that with the initial markups, we very well may see challengers going for that, which is ridiclous...but it happened with the 40,000 GT500, and i would go so far as to say that the release of the challenger is bigger news than the release of the GT500.

comments in green...with the way that the labor unions are running every business in this country into the ground, the eventual solution to keep up with the less expensive and often more reliable overseas automakers will be a huge american firm, comprised of the big 3 working together. either that, or we will see things like nissan buying GM, toyota buying chrysler, etc...i dont know who woudl want ford...

Old 08-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Has this topic become the longest thread of all times yet? Will this post get onto Page 13?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

i could change the number of posts per page and make it any length that we wanted...
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

The discussion on the companies was interesting but based on the topic: "What is the expected price for the Challenger?"
here we are almost 13 pages and everything is shear speculation and we know no additional information.

If we are going to talk about Cerebus and it's possible philosophy on what it will do, lets make it another post.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The discussion on the companies was interesting but based on the topic: "What is the expected price for the Challenger?"
here we are almost 13 pages and everything is shear speculation and we know no additional information.
Agreed. We know absolutely nothing as "fact". But isn't that part of the reason this site (and all others like it) exist?
All we have on the new Challenger is what little Dodge has "officially" released as public information. Even that isn't "fact", but plans and proposals (which can change). And what little they have released would fit on one page of this forum. Aside from the lovely press day at Daytona early last July, the only thing we've gotten "officially" is that the car will be built at the Brampton, Ontario facility.
We have spy shots, insider information, magazine articles, press releases, news articles, rhumors ........ but no facts, because we have no production cars to physically put our hands on. Until it reaches full production and the cars are available for sale to the public and we can measure wheelbase, legroom, weigh them, etc., ALL of our threads about the Challenger are sheer speculation based on the tid-bits Chrysler LLC has given us (with an eyedropper), and any other sources we "personally" put any stock in.

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

If we are going to talk about Cerebus and it's possible philosophy on what it will do, lets make it another post.
That's a reasonable suggestion. Although I believe the two are indelibly intertwined, and the Challenger's success, as well as ALL of the future vehicles Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep will make are directly related to what direction Cerberus takes, I think the topic merits it's own discussion. We have more than a few intelligent members, administrators and moderators to make such discussions worth the effort.
[sm=goodidea.gif]

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?