Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

ORIGINAL: GTO JUDGE

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age. I'll get one reguardless..

Well, good luck to you. A few words of advice... If you get one, or another other car for that matter, get GAP insurance.
GAP insurance if you do not already know what that is, is simply this...

Say you purchase a Charger for 30K. You take a loan out on it. You total it.. There you are owing a ton of money on it because book value will not be enough to pay the loan off. GAP insurance will cover you. What amount is left over after book value, GAP will cover it leaving you even.

Here is another tid bit.... I am sure you have seen on the news the funny car that went out of control doing a burn out killing 6 injuring 20 plus?? This guy is a pro. He lost it. Just FYI.

Another IMPORTANT piece of advice... whatever you get, a real bad mistake is to go with minimum coverage insurance like Geico or Safe Auto. Saving a few dollars on premiums to make it affordable is cool until you have an accident and find yourself hitting a car that costs 50K and your liability is only good for 20K.

There is a whole host of important decisions that go along with a hot car you are wanting besides getting the keys and driving it.

What do mom and dad think about it?

Thats the cheap part of it, now lets talk about the other persons medical bills!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:17 PM

BTW, The Challenger will sell in the $50,000 range the first year!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age.
If you want a safe car for someone of ANY age, get a Volvo. Yeah, I know - the image thing.
The Charger IS a safe car - we got my wife an R/T last spring. It's also a very powerful car (even the 3.5L V6) - one that could easily get away from ANYONE, let alone someone with little/no driving experience in traffic. And yes, it's listed as a large sedan. Size alone doesn't make it safe, nor does it keep you from making poor decisions. The operator behind the wheel makes a car safe or unsafe through the decisions he/she makes.
I'll get one reguardless..
I knew it all when I was your age too - now my kids know it all and they think I'm a horse's @$$. LOL! If they only knew HALF of what I've forgotten! AND if only I listened to the people that offered ME sound advice when I was thier age, I'd have saved myself a lot of pain, inconvenience, time and money.

You can wreck in anything. I have a simple question...If your so worried about safety...why are you guys drooling about how fast these cars go? I'm not a drag racer..I like the cars look..not really it's performance. Sure, it's good to brag about. But no way am I going at a speed that makes me uncomfortable. I figured with the size of the Charger it would be one of the more safe cars out there. Sure it's powerful, but a lot of things are. There are tons of cars out there you would reccomend me get..a lot that would go over speeds I will never even reach in my car.

And my parents basically just don't want me to get anything too small, I think I could easily talk them into a challenger. But I think I may just end up getting a GT..My sisters boyfriend just got a bad GT...I love it..
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think what they are getting at is that they are concerned about your safety and inexperience. I have seen many shows that show how
young drivers have wrecks because they don't realize that things can happen quickly (ie picking up a dropped CD on the floor and taking your eyes off of the road).

One of the most common is running a stop sign or red light because they are talking with their friends. That is just pure lack of experience.

I even know of older adult drivers who have no business driving 500 HP cars because they do not know how to control and recover if they do lose control.

They have courses for that sort of thing and I recommend them to people who have never driven the bigger engines.

But no way am I going at a speed that makes me uncomfortable.
I think most of our discussion has to do with acceleration and not top speed unless we are at the drag strip. I do not think anybody is planning to do
174 MPH on the highways.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM

You can wreck in anything.
Agreed - made that point in the prior post regarding our two sons who wrecked in a Saab 900 and a Mitsubishi Eclipse. No argument there.
I have a simple question...If your so worried about safety...why are you guys drooling about how fast these cars go?
I don't remember saying anything about "going fast". I wrote about "power". That could be acceleration, top speed, roll-on/passing power, but I don't recall mentioning "going fast" anywhere in any post - here, or anywhere else.
The value brought at the Barrett-Jackson auctions for the old muscle cars is based on thier equpiment, condition, how many were made, and how many are left - especially unmolested (original, numbers matching, etc).
I'm psyched about this car because it looks like the cars being made when I was your age - okay, actually younger than you. The look and promise of similar/better performance is an opportunity to own a piece of history (my youth) revisited, and possibly, tuck away in the garage after I've gotten my fill of it for a long term investment (an original '70 Hemi Cuda Convertible brought something in the neighborhood of $2.7 million at a B-J auction. The original MSRP was somewhere around $4,000.00).
Our Charger R/T has the 5.7L in it (340 HP). I have no idea how fast it will really go. I haven't taken it to the strip, and wouldn't try in on the street. Again, there's a time and place for everything, and the highways aren't the place at any time.
But no way am I going at a speed that makes me uncomfortable. I figured with the size of the Charger it would be one of the more safe cars out there. Sure it's powerful, but a lot of things are. There are tons of cars out there you would reccomend me get..a lot that would go over speeds I will never even reach in my car.
That's the point I'm trying to make - our Sons THOUGHT they were comfortable at speeds that were obviously unsafe for the situations when they had thier accidents (one Son has had THREE accidents now). Young men who are new drivers aren't always realistic about what they can handle and what they can't. They don't have the benefit of years of experience.
Again, what makes a car safe or unsafe is the operator and the the decisions he/she makes. Those decisions are often influenced by experience.
Driving is a privelage, not a right. It's also an awesome responsibility.
Be safe, Bud.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Rob

Since I am the one that started this ball rolling, I will chime in here.

I am 27 and I hope to sell my current car and buy the Challenger when it comes out. That said, I do plan on doing exactly what Jeremiah said: take a driving recovery course (hopefully the allow you to use their cars...lol)

I have driven the new Mustang GT and fell in love with the power and handling. But it did make me realize...and I'm sure most would agree, this is a wild ride, and I do plan to go to the track and hopefully learn from some professionals.

I live in Toronto, Canada, and I believe there is a track west of me ...can't remember what it's called ...starts with a T ..haha

Anyhoo, I still say what I said before. Too young. Although I would have wanted the same thing when I was 16, I'm glad I didn't get it because it would most definitely have gotten out of my hands. And once it's out of your hands you crash, insurance goes up, you're paying for years. Do what the others say, get a junker, learn how to drive it...heck kill that little junker, then upgrade when you're ready...5-6 years down the road, I dunno. Cars with that much power have a tendency to get to 60mph faster than sh$t through a goose ...and worst of all, because it's built for speed it doesn't even seem like your going what the speedo says.

Parents say big car, big car = safe car, safe car = not sports car

If I was younger, and my parents were willing to spend $20-30,000 on my new car (or if you already have that kinda money...) I would probably look at a Ford Fusion or something (the only mid-size, reasonably priced car which I think looks half decent -- actually the Lincoln Mark Z...what a sweet a$$ on that car, but that's as much as the Challenger) or cool pickup like the Ford Ranger...

You're probably gonna have some response to this, saying "oh, it's not the power", "...it wont get outta control...", "...I'll drive it responsibly, I'll drive it slow" ...trust none of those things will happen unless you engage the governor chip at 60mph.

0-60mph in 4.5 sec ...enough said.

R

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Rob

Oh...and anyone know the driving recovery program I'm talking about? Toronto area?

r
Old 06-20-2007, 04:50 AM

The first thing you should do is take a drivers safety course including behind the wheel training. No offense to your parents, but I question any parent's sense of safe responsibility to their child that would give their blessing to a 16 year old who is in the infancy stages of driving the go ahead on any car that is stature.

Not only that, but the hefty price tag associated with it. Unless you are rolling in dough, I cannot phantom any parent letting a 16 year old tie up 40K or so on a first vehicle, or anything at so young an age.

A pilot doesn't get in an F-16 without first learning on a smaller less aggressive aircraft.

Youth+inexperience+horsepower= Disaster. The more you drive a car like this the more invincible you feel. The more invincible you feel the more risks you take, the more risks you take ......... read your local obits.

The odds are against you, statistics prove it. A responsible parent would be against a car like this for their 16 year old. There are plenty of cars out there to learn on. You're gonna do what ya wanna do, remember this.... For-site is better than hind-site.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:05 AM

Most important do yourself and your family a favor and learn to drive for a few years in a safe, reliable, small, low power car before you take on a muscle car. A new Challenger and a dead 16 year old is not how your parents want to start off 2008.

As a parent I am amazed that your parents would even consider buying you such a car. Maybe, hopefully you’re just experiencing a teenage fantasy.

The answer I gave my daughter when she was 16, got her license and asked for a V8 Mustang was, "NO" because I love you..
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Most important do yourself and your family a favor and learn to drive for a few years in a safe, reliable, small, low power car before you take on a muscle car. A new Challenger and a dead 16 year old is not how your parents want to start off 2008.

As a parent I am amazed that your parents would even consider buying you such a car. Maybe, hopefully you’re just experiencing a teenage fantasy.

The answer I gave my daughter when she was 16, got her license and asked for a V8 Mustang was, "NO" because I love you..
My friend just got a GT, other friend got a Mercedes, one of the SLK class cars. There not dead. And did someone just say this car doesn't even have 400 HP?

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?