Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Just Dashes door panels

Old 06-19-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Dashes door panels

I just got my door panels back from Just Dashes where they restored them. These were the car's original white panels and we all know how the grain holds up on white E-body panels, but mine still had plenty of good grain left on them, especially down low. The plastic was not all dried up. I took the panels out of the car 20 years ago, so that is one reason why they held up so well, plus I live in the Midwest and the sun doesn't fry everything inside like other areas of the country.

Any way it took Just Dashes three months to get them restored. They look nice, but then they should for the amount of money I paid them.

Thinking of doing the four door panels in your car? Figure on laying out $1300, depending on your cost of shipping. Shipping something this big across country is very expensive now. I spent $300 total to ship them both ways.

Price for restoration of each panel is currently $180. Color matching is another $100 (total).

I was under the impression that they had a method to lay down a new plastic surface and then imprint the grain onto it. Not so. What they do is get rid of the original grain and then lay down and shrink wrap something akin to vinyl material over the original panel.

Probably the Palco panels are a little better way to go, but they are also not exactly like the originals. Their grain is slightly different and even the feel of the surface is too. The Palcos are harder and less pliable than the originals. I have no experience with installing the Palcos.

I do have experience installing the other brand that was out there before Legendary Interiors started carrying the Palco brand. I forget the name of the manufacturer. Let me tell you, they were tough to fit. When installing the wood grain inserts on the front panels, the insert wouldn't fit properly and I could only get a couple of nuts on the back side. A lot of the hardware that goes behind the door, such as in the area of the armrest doesn't fit very well. It was tough to even get them screwed down around the edges of the door. Of course the grain is way off on these panels and the groove isn't even close to the originals. These pieces of dog doo are coming out and I will put in the Just Dashes restored originals.

Thank God my next Chall. resto project has a black interior and I already have a mint black set on hand. No, I won't consider selling them for any amount of money.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Just Dashes door panels

I, too, have white door panels and I had Just Dashes re-do mine, but I could not be happier with the results. Refinishing all four panels cost around $1000 (including return shipping). Lead time was also around 90 days. I shipped them right after Labor Day '06 and got them back between Christmas and New Years. I wa so happy with the results that I'll soon be sending the interior window and door moldings in for re-finishing. I have pix up on my website at www.mikes73.com.

Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Very nice car..
Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Good information!

My car has the "bright blue" interior and the tops of the door panels have decayed somewhat due to the sun, so this is something I'll have to look into. My front kick panels are toast, so I'll probably have to do them too.

Have any of you tried them for dash pad restoration? The pad in my car has cracks the size of the Grand Canyon, but my car has factory AC, and again the oddball blue color, so I don't see many options for me to pursue.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Guys,

Call Dasiy Dukes Restorations at 1-888-8 DAISYD

She'll get you Palco repops for a great price.

If you drive the car, Just Dashes isn't worth the money. Nobody is checking out the grain on your door panels.

They are checking out how cool you are with your car! Enjoy yourself!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/60F62BAB49E64EBBA92F5EA1EADA2600.jpg[/IMG]