Notices
Engine Got engine work, simple or complex? Let's hear about it!! Everything from air filters and exhaust systems to stroker kits goes here.

Need opinions on rebuilding 440

Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on rebuilding 440

I'm planning on rebuilding my 440 6pack motor this winter and need some opinions.

My goal is to have around 500-550 hp and would like to be able to run the 1/4 mile in upper 11's. It's not going to be a track car, just an couple of passes a year.

I'm been considering doing a stroker kit either to a 496 or 500ci, but I'm still undecided. I would like to go with an aluminium heads either edelbrock or Indy Ez's. I'm setting my budget to $5000 on parts. I would like to hear some feedback on the best combo to reach my goals.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremy
Old 08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Need opinions on rebuilding 440

is your car numbers matching?

what is already done to the car?

are you keeping the 6-pack setup?

i am not all that familiar with big block builds (especially six packs), but i do know that indy cylinder heads are "the name" in performance heads. once we eventually go to aluminum heads, we will almost surely go with indy for both of the 340s.

if the engine is currently stock, i would start with headers, cam, heads, and i would go away from the 6 pack, as the 4 bbl is easier to tune, and i also know more about the aftermarket for the 4bbl. if you are keeping the 6-pack, youll have to check around on things like performance intakes, carbs, etc. i know that indy makes great top end kits for big blocks, but im not sure about 6 packs.

to get from 390hp to your goal of 500-550, i dont think that a stroke change is needed. my 340 4bbl is making around 500hp with the stock stroke.

what transmission are you running, and is it stock?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM

I need to be alittle more specfic on this.

I want to keep the 6 pack intake, I know it will effect which heads to get. That's why I want to use a smaller flowing al head. I've found a company that specializes in 6 packs so tuning will be a lot easier, once I get the kit for promax carbs.

Everything on the engine now is pretty much stock and no it's not a #'s matching car. I will need heads, some type of engine kit (pistons, crank and such) and a cam.

I have a 4 speed tranny currently. After the engine rebuild, I will be looking at purchasing the 5 speed conversion.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

ok..i understand the allure of the 6 pack, as it certain adds some "wow" to the car...

what year 440 is it? is it a stock 390hp engine, similar to those found in the RTs? i really think that you should be able to reach your horsepower goal without the bottom end change, as keep the stock bottom end (provided that it is in good shape) will help keep costs down, but going to the larger displacement would make 500-550 a much safer bet. however, you get into alot of issues when stroking a motor such as clearances and machine work..etc.

i honestly think that the 500-550hp is "easily" attainable for you, but with a manual trans, the 11s is going to be tricky without alot of practice. there is such a fine line for the launch window to get a manual trans car down the track, and while ive not tracked an 833 car, ive heard that they are NOT friendly for power shifting.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

My main goal is the horsepower, than I'll work on the track times.

I would think I could keep the crank the same, which isn't out of the question. I don't think this should be to hard to accomplish, but who knows. I wish i had a mopar muscle from a couple years back that had a 70 superbird that had a 6pack setup making 550hp. Thats what I want to do with my car

It's definitely very tricky powershifting it, I haven't had much practice recently. The last time I took my car to the track was 5 years ago, man I feel like I'm getting old. That's pretty much the last time is been driven hard. It's been sitting at my dad house for 4 years, while I was going to college. I've been slowly rebuilding each part of the car every year. Obviously this and next year is the engine.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could be of more help, but my 6-pack motor is stock except for the cam, headers and oil pump and pan. I think that the purple shaft 509 is about max on the cam if you plan for any street use. I have heard the heads from any 440 flow real well with a good decking and a clean up. The cam is pretty important. Also match valve springs with cam. Your exhaust should be no problem with what you have now. That exhaust you have is awsome. 10to1 Forged pistons and 30 over to round it out. That should put you at over 500 at the crank. Also a 7-8 quart oil pan and a melling high vol. pump. Tune that 6-pack and let her rip. Good luck and let us know how its going.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

i run the next bigger cam from mopar in my 340..its the 528, and it saw plenty of street use...the only downfall is that the vacuum is a bit low, but other than that, i didnt have any problems...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam I'm running in my 440 is the 484 purple shaft. It is a real good choice for an automatic with a stall of 2000 or less. I have heard that the 509 is a good choice for street duty but if the 528 is streetable then I'd go that route. The fact that he has a 4-speed lets him be a little more liberal with the cam selection. Any help to make the 550 hp goal is good. I don't think he will have a problem making over 550 hp.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

good point about the manual trans..im running a 3500 stall with my 528.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM

I thinking going with Ross forged pistons and H-beam rods, I've been told they work best with the stock crank. If I want to go with Eddie heads, I have to have zero deck clearance.

Is there a benefit to stroking the motor? If I don't have to and i'm still able to obtain 500hp, that would be able to save a good amount of money on machine work.

You guys know your cams apparently, I do appericate all of the help. I would like to know what parts to get and have it order by fall. So hopefuly I can have it done and on the road by next spring

Quick Reply: Need opinions on rebuilding 440