Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Looks of Muscle Cars - Back in the Day

Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks of Muscle Cars - Back in the Day

While I was fascinated by the looks of the Lambo Countach, Ford Pantera, Stainless Steel Delorean, and of course the Bricklin as exotics "back in the day".

There was no car so "Bad to the Bone" as the brothers of '70 Dodge Challenger and "70 Plymouth Barracuda. Their looks are timeless. They gave the impression
that if you drove that car you were up to no good but you can't catch me if you tried attitude.

For me these cars exceed the looks of the:

'74 Pontiac TransAm - not bad looking though

'69 Pontica GTO - The car Sheryl Crow had rebuilt for Lance Armstrong on TV ala "Overhaulin". Of course they are now broke up....he is an idiot.

'70 Plymouth Superbird- just too bulky of a car.

'68 Oldsmobile 442 - a gentlemen's muscle car

'69 Chevelle - my neighbor had one it was a fast car

'69 Camaro - my wife had a '75 and it really could take the corners

'69 Mustang Boss 429- what a heritage

'66 Shelby GT350 Mustang and GT500 - named because it weight 500 lbs more than the GT350 both a great cars

'64 Ford Fairlane - a boat anchor

'70 Mercury Cougar Eliminator - Well it kinda looks like a Cougar. Wasn't that Farrah Fawcett's car.

'69 Road Runner - not bad

'69 Charger - Wasn't it trying to catch a Mustang in Bullitt.

'68 Nova - My girlfriend had a Charger.....but I am not with her any more...enough said.

'68 AMC Javelin - I did kind of liked the looks when I was younger

'61 and '68 Impala SS - Fast boat anchor

'69 Mercury Maurder - not too popular

'69 Ford Torino - not bad

'Plymouth Duster - Fastest muscle car I was in at 136 MPH on the Houston 610 loop.

While I am sure it didn't include some of your favorites, what I am trying to convey is that I have looked at them all and the 'Cuda and Challlenger are "Bad to the Bone" timeless and look awesome.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Looks of Muscle Cars - Back in the Day

I agree the E-body is the epitome of the muscle car look. The Challenger being the better of the Cuda because of it's distinctive lines.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 PM

IMO the new Challenger looks better than than the older one, more muscular, not as cheep. Don't get me wrong the older ones look bad but the new one looks even bader!!!! I can't say that about the new Mustang, it doesn't look as good as the older ones.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:25 AM

I couldn't agree more. Timeless. They looked good 35 years ago and I have to believe, they will look good 35 years from now!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 PM

those names make me think of sweet cars but the challenger is like the badass guy on the block that everyone tries to avoid cause they know he is the man and demands RESPECT
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I am glad you enjoyed reading those names and much as I enjoyed writing the post. Certainly brings back memories.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM

I wish could remember them like you can, it was before my time.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Just remember there are some cars I wish I could forget......like the Ford Pinto/AMC Pacer, Chevy Vega, etc..

These are were designed so bad sometimes door/glove comparments would not close because of poor design and within a few years they would fall apart.

Japan was trying to penetrate the US market back then and Detroit marketing told them that Americans did keep cars longer than 3 years so they would design them accordingly.
So American cars after 3 years would fall apart.

Fast forward to 2006....has Japan penetrated the US market? How are GM and Ford doing financial in the US.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

I hope the muscle cars will bring back some of the American Car Muscle of fury that we need in the US car industry.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:19 AM

69 to 73 Tran-Sam and 70 to 73 Camario (named because lots of Italians in my neighborhood owned them) were decent looking cars as well and don't forget the AMX's (2 seat Javelins) and the Mustang (with Steve McQueen driving it) chased the charger by the way.
Another car that is easily forgotten is the Chevy SS (before the Nova) it was pretty quick but real plain looking.