Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Chrysler may sell or close Mopar

Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler may sell or close Mopar

Chrysler may sell or close Mopar
Filed under: Aftermarket, Time Warp, Chrysler
There are perhaps better bloggers out there to eulogize the potential passing of Mopar, Chrysler's high-performance and specialty parts division. Those with more wrinkles on their brow could reflect on days when Mopar muscle ruled the streets and stalked stoplights like a hungry predator. It's future as a division of the newly-named Chrysler LLC is in doubt, as reports are surfacing this morning that it may be sold or even closed, along with Chrysler Transport, the division that delivers parts and supplies to the company's various plants.

Of course, everything's on the table during a turnaround, so the possibility of Chrysler selling a division that defines a large part of its identity is not surprising. It appears the idea of shedding Mopar was put on the table during contract talks with the UAW that are happening as we speak. Mopar and Chrysler Transport represent about 1,300 paid employees, and it appears these people are being used as a bargaining tool in a high stakes game of chicken. Hopefully they'll still have their jobs after Sept. 14th when the current contract between the automaker from Auburn Hills and the UAW expires.

[Source: Forbes]
Permalink | Email this | Comments
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Chrysler may sell or close Mopar

So aside from Mopar shirts becoming collectors' items, what exactly would this mean? Even back in the 1980s, most of the replacement parts I got for my Challenger already were being made by companies in Argentina or someplace that had bought up the patents to make them. I seriously doubt that anything Mopar sells would disappear from the market.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

it means that if you buy anything "mopar", it will either be NOS or it will be made and sold by whoever buys the mopar brand name.
i said it on another site this morning...you think that damiler was bad? damiler understood performance...hell, they created it...so if you didnt like how chrysler was going under the reign of daimler, hold onto your asses, as its going to get a whole lot worse.

this means that you wont be able to buy things like factory performance parts.

this means no more ordering performance stuff at a discount for your challenger from your buddy who works at a dodge dealership.

this means that cerberus is saying "we dont care how fast the cars are, or how you make them fast, so long as we turn a profit".

this means that companies like GMPP (general motors performance parts) will take control of the performance market...as they have the sense to try to make consumers happy.

if this becomes a trend, many people will be sorry for ever questioning damiler. "the grass is always greener", is a cliche, not a fact.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Well, I'm definitely stocking up on Mopar shirts then.

Personally, I'm not concerned about getting performance parts, as my Challenger will be put into daily service immediately and I have few opportunities to race between work, home and back.

Since it's likely that the Challenger will be the last new car I ever buy, I AM concerned, about eventual replacement of conventional components -- things like the flat door handles now appearing on the test cars, which if the 1970 model serves as a guide, will break after 10 or 12 years. Frankly, I could care less if the box the part comes in is stamped Mopar or Made in Outer Mongolia, as long as I can get the stuff I need.

For performance fans, though, this indeed could pose a problem.