Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Is there going to be a convertible version.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there going to be a convertible version.

First Post. Been a reader for a while, but I finaly decided to register. Coming from OKC and Alabama.

I would love to see a convertible version of the new concept. They mention their might be, but not for sure. I would buy one if it came with the 6.1L. My Dream car would be the 6.4L Convertible. Doesnt look like it will be in production though. And here is the big question, if they decide to go with a convertible version, will they go with a hardtop that folds back like they Cadillac XLR coupe or a soft top version. I would love to see the hardtop mainly for noise and weather reasons (Plus you can hit that 174mph with the hardtop). What do you guys think.

JC
Old 03-13-2006, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Is there going to be a convertible version.

Do a search on converible. Someone posted a photoshoped version. I'm not even a convertible fan, but I loved it!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 PM

I went to a car auction here in Scottsdale, Az a few weeks back. They had a Blue with White interior 4 speed 426 Hemi Cude Convertible and it sold for 1.3 Million!! I damn near died.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 AM

I'm hoping for a convertible version. I know I won't ever be able to afford an original Hemi Challenger ragtop (unless I win the lottery, but I'm not holding my breath for that), so this would be a pretty acceptable alternative. I've always been a convertible fan anyway. I'll take mine with a 6.4L, 6-speed please.......
Old 03-31-2006, 04:06 PM

i have a 71 chally convertible and really want a new chally for all the new car stuff vs a old car(ps i still will not sell my 71)
i want a black or sliver on with black intirior. with a 4.1 or 4.6 (i have hear people say both dont quite know why) and a auto trans.

an auto is just as good as a manual in my book

there are alot of things i would like done to the new challenger but hey can you belive it they came out with a chanllenger i would by it as is any way.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Don't buy a convertible if you're thinking performance, not having a top that ties into the frame is a disaster if you ever get the car to really hook up, it becomes more of a bendable car than a convertible one! So unless you plan on just buying for looks and not speed, I would stay away from a convertible. Now if you want to spend a lot of money and get a roll cage that supports the frame and body, then thats another story!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

I totally agree with wallstreetman, don't get a convertible if you want performance and road handling as there is just too much flexing in the chassis.

Convertibles are made heavier since they try to stiffen the chassis and heavier is not good.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:28 PM

first who cares if it is heavier it will still be fast
what are you guys going to drag a stock 07 chally or something
next as i said i have a 71 chally
all you need to do is beef up the frame a bit and it would probaly be fine
as long as you dont put a super charger or some turbo and go drag it all the time
rember this is not a old chally it is a new one it will be build prity strong TRUST ME

Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reason why weight is bad:

1. For every 100 lbs equals .1 seconds on the drag strip.

2. Makes road handling difficult on curves.

Basic law of physics

The muscles of cars of old were heavy (40 years ago technology)......the muscles cars of new don't have to be.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:04 PM

Convertibles are for chicks. Convertibles are marketed towards the females