Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member - just got my Challenger this past weekend!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - just got my Challenger this past weekend!

Hi folks,

I just took delivery of a '70 Challenger "Western Sport Special" over this past weekend, and stumbled onto this forum while searching he internet for info on it. My car is B7 blue with a blue interior and (once had) a white vinyl top. She came with a 318/auto, 14" Magnum 500 wheels, a bench seat w/ fold down armrest (weird!), and factory AC. She's been stored outdoors so the top was shredded & the paint is toast, but she's straight and there's remarkably little rust. The sad part is that I inherited this car from my sister who is terminally ill, so I need to do it justice.

This isn't my first Mopar (I've owned a 340 Duster for 21 years), but I'm on the fence as to what I should do with her. Are these "Western Sport Special" models collectible at all? I'm planning to restore the body & interior back to stock, but I'd really like to yank the 318 for something with more grunt. I've got both a 360 & a 440 lurking in the garage...hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New member - just got my Challenger this past weekend!

You really need to do with it what will make you happy. Do your sister proud and have fun with the car. And drive, yeah just drive it and as often as you can. My car has the same kind of value as it belonged to my brother-in-law who passed due to cancer. I will pass before this car is handed down and guess what I will tell them... DRIVE it!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah and welcome to the sight Enjoy the company of fellow Mopar lovers.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 AM

Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the site, and let be the first to say it....

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Aaw, give the poor guy a break, he's excited! He'll get the camera out when he gets a chance...

Seriously, though, sorry to hear about your sister, I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Sounds like you're where my dad and I were about 18 years ago, so I'll take this opportunity to dispense some advice:

1) Keep it in perspective, it's just a car. Yeah, it's neat, but don't let it take over your life.
2) Take LOTS of pictures BEFORE you disassemble ANYTHING. You don't want to wonder in 1, 2, 3 years, "where did this little bracket go...?
3)Make it what you want it to be, then remember: "It's a car -- DRIVE IT!"

Welcome and enjoy!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys! Ask and ye shall receive - below are pics. I know she's rough, but she's all original, straight, and almost rust free (found a little under the vinyl top).

Sitting in my driveway

Bright blue interior (my wife hates it - oh well!). The carpet, kick panels, dash pad, and front seat covers are shot, but the back isn't too bad, the door panels are good, and the headliner is PERFECT:

Here's the rompin'-stompin' 318 2-bbl. (Looks like the passenger side motor mount went bye bye!):

Note that this car has been sitting for years and these pics are before I cleaned it up. I'm going to bleed the brakes and throw in a motor mount and fresh battery this weekend, and see if I can get her to fire up! She was a running and driveable (and worn out) car when she was parked, and it's been in the family for a long time (my sis bought it from the original owner in the late 80's) so I have a pretty good idea what I'm up against. And yes, I will garage it (just as soon as I finish installing the new engine in my truck).

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 AM

Looks good and solid- definitely a great car to start with! That color scheme sounds pretty unusual, and would be a real standout when complete! Congrats again, enjoy it... (and thanks for the pics...)
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

70Chally.....congrats on having an original. I wish you the best on the restoration and be sure to post many pictures.

If I had an old one, I am not into keeping everything original. That is for collectors. I would beef everything up better than it was brand new
and even replace the chassis for better handling performance etc. But that is just me. I like the look but with todays performance.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Yeah Jeremiah, I know what you mean. I think I'll keep the body & interior mostly stock & just go to work on the drivetrain & chassis. Disc barkes are definitly going on, for safety if nothing else. I have a 360 short block that I've thought about stroking, and that would be the easiest route since the car already has a 318, but I also have a 440 I'd love to put in there.

Bottom line: I already have a Duster that is a BEAST, so I want this one to more driveable. I'm also on a tight budget (I have four sons), so things will move slowly, but I guarantee they WILL move forward.
Brad
Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome on the 440.....use that one.

FYI - The fastest I have ever been in a car on the streets was 136 MPH in a Duster. I wasn't driving, but it was hair raising ride.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: New member - just got my Challenger this past weekend!