Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Enter the rumormill: Next Mustang iteration to get 007 flavor

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enter the rumormill: Next Mustang iteration to get 007 flavor

Enter the rumormill: Next Mustang iteration to get 007 flavor
Filed under: Coupes, Ford

God help us for posting about another Mustang iteration, but with Ford's commitment to bring a variant of the Pony car to market each year, it was simply a matter of time before the rumors began to swirl. This newest one, courtesy of MustangEvolution, contends that a revival of the Mach 1 is due out sometime in 2009.

While another special edition 'Stang is enough to cause a bout of acid reflux, the basis for the Mach 1 may be yet another tribute to the coupe's cinematic roots. James Bond drove a red Mach 1, sans black stripes and mag wheels, in 1971's Diamonds are Forever, and supposedly Ford is looking for the original car as the basis for the 2009 model. While we can argue the merits of another Mustang variant, a Bond-badged version might seem a bit more palatable - barely.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/27/e...et-007-flavor/
Old 11-28-2007, 02:29 AM

Default RE: Enter the rumormill: Next Mustang iteration to get 007 flavor

I think it is great what Ford is doing with the Mustang, an reasonable way to keep the car fresh during mid cycle years...I'm still buying a Challenger though.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 AM

The 2008 Bullitt was once again listed today on Yahoo as the #1 most viewed preview car model. In the Bullitt's rearview mirror were the Dodge Viper SR10, Nissan GT-R, Jaguar XF, BMW M3 and the Lincoln MKS.

Instead of trashing Ford for offering a "steed for every need" we should all be thanking our lucky stars that the Mustang has single-handedly kept this niche of the car market alive. Due to its increased popularity recently (2005 - Present) pony cars such as the Challenger and the Camaro are literally being brought back from the dead. So, instead, maybe just say thank you to the Mustang and try your best to keep up with one when you see it out there on the battlefield...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'd been saying that ought to do it 70 Mach1 Fastback .....(yeah, I know pretty obvious, but I am a master of the obvious, so... go with what you know)

Albeeno, I don't think Ford was being altruistic. But I do appreciate them being intelligent and gutsy enough to explore this segment again and wish them well for the risk they've taken.

With that said Mach 1 Fastback rework vs. Challenger, no brainer, Chally everytime. If I had some extry cash for another car, I might consider a Fastback over a second Chally, if a 'Cuda were to come down the pike, however.....

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Now this I'm happy to hear IF it offers a different engine than the GTs do. I don't mind the Mustang having more variants, in fact, that is a great idea as long as it is justifiable. Making 4 versions of the same engine output instead of closing the gap between the GT and the GT500 (a 200hp gap mind you) simply does not make sense. Offering the Mach 1 as they did back in 03 to close the gap between the Cobra and the GT was a smart move and it would be a smart move to repeat. Offering 4 versions of the GT and charging inflated prices is simply silly.

I do appreciate that Ford kept this segment alive, I just think that Ford needs something besides the Mustang to survive and needs to pump their R&D into their slower selling models that have great potential, just lack of power or styling depending on the model that prevents them from being successful.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Some very good points indeed! Don't forget about their success with the Fusion model.

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Now this I'm happy to hear IF it offers a different engine than the GTs do. I don't mind the Mustang having more variants, in fact, that is a great idea as long as it is justifiable. Making 4 versions of the same engine output instead of closing the gap between the GT and the GT500 (a 200hp gap mind you) simply does not make sense. Offering the Mach 1 as they did back in 03 to close the gap between the Cobra and the GT was a smart move and it would be a smart move to repeat. Offering 4 versions of the GT and charging inflated prices is simply silly.

I do appreciate that Ford kept this segment alive, I just think that Ford needs something besides the Mustang to survive and needs to pump their R&D into their slower selling models that have great potential, just lack of power or styling depending on the model that prevents them from being successful.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM

I tip my hat to Ford for keeping the Mustang around for so long, and keeping the niche alive. I would say since 2005, Ford has dramatically increased the quality of the vehicles they have been putting out. Like that Fusion, my girlfirend has one and she loves it. Hell, I like it too. Looks great, handles good-too bad she didnt get a black one with a V6. According to Consumer Reports, Ford out did Toyota in reliability for 2006. That's impressive.