Notices
Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Adding aftermarket radios

Old 04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding aftermarket radios

Continuing from another post......See the diagram below for using an Aftermarket Head. Notice that RCA jack or preamp outputs are used.

The audio amp section of a factory radio adds noise and distortion and then driving an external amp just amplifies all of that noise.

Using preamp outputs and and external amps is a superior method.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/964568BD1D3A4840BF7888E2D9EA69DF.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Adding aftermarket radios

I personally don't like aftermarket radios. Futhermore, in this car the current styling of aftermarket radio heads don't fit in with the interior styling of the Challenger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 AM

Whatever happened to just hot-wiring the radio into the cigarette lighter and then running the speaker wires along the door kickplates to wherever you happened to mount the speakers on some convenient screws somewhere in the back? If it was good enough in the 70s, it should be good enough now.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 AM

RG... point well taken... you gotta admit though that running the speaker wires under the floor mats would be just annoying now as it was then... [8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM

what's amazing is even though there's fewer things holding a new interior together it's harder to get apart than one from the 60's or 70's
Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Whatever happened to just hot-wiring the radio into the cigarette lighter and then running the speaker wires along the door kickplates to wherever you happened to mount the speakers on some convenient screws somewhere in the back? If it was good enough in the 70s, it should be good enough now.
Boy you really dug up a 2 year old thread to reply to. Anyways what was good in the '70s is not good enough now. That is like saying the 70's Challenger's technology is good enough for now and I certainly do not want a '70s Challenger.

The better radio systems have the head unit separate from the preamp which is separate from the amp then it connects to the speaker.

You could have low level preamp cables feeding the trunk which could be where your amp is. So feeding speakers wires to the trunk is not valid in this situation. Radio's of the '70s is certainly old school.

Now if a persons hearing is so bad because of gunshots or firecrackers, none of this matters anyway and maybe a '70s radio would be good enough.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM

He just wants the 8 track
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Boy you really dug up a 2 year old thread to reply to.
Oddly, it was at the top of the list when I replied to it. I didn't even notice the date on it.

And, yeah, Rubberbndman, I STILL have some 8-track tapes floating around somewhere.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM

I think I have Hotel California and Cat Scratch Fever...been saving them for BJ Auction..going to make some coin[&:]