Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Memories

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memories

I bought this car second hand after a night on the beer in Bahrain in the arabian Gulf in 1974. I'd arrived from the UK about 6 hours earlier to work in Bahrain and it belonged to the relief engineer who was going on to work in Abu Dahbi. The car was well knackered from miss use and poor maintenance and it took a few months and lots of bucks to sort her out. Perhaps someone in the know could give me a few more details to jog my memory. I remember it had a double barrel carb and that it was a V8 - the rest is hazy. Cheers Mike

Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Default RE: Memories

Oh - and an auto gearbox - 3 speed I think.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 PM

Ahhh, Bahrain. The Hollywood of the Middle east. Looks like a '72 Rallye my friend. 340 4 barrel and a 727 most likely. Very nice polaroid. Brings back memories both good and bad, good memories of the day I purchased my '72 Rallye and bad memories of crap holes like Daharan, Jeddah and Taif. Stationed in Riyadh during operations Peace Sun, Peace Hawk and Peace Shield. Baharain was a welcomed oasis floating in the middle of a cess pool. McDonalds, Bikinis, and Muscle Cars! Man those are Arabs I can shuck and jive with! Not so much with their very important neighbors to the East. Actually, some of the Royal Family (Princes) have muscle car collections that make Jay Lenno's garage look like rent-a-wreck. Maybe I ended up with your car, nope mine is Top Banana. Ma'asalama for now. The Wedge....
Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Hi Wedge Head. Thanks for the info on my ex Dodge. It was a real Engineers car in that you had to love to keep it going. Theres a strip of dual road ( at least there was 25 years ago) from the Sheiks Palace to Awali and the aim was to drive it before the music on a track from Santanna finished. This meant speeds of up to 120 mph and definately not under the ton. We did it 3 times and each time it cost me $$$$$$ to put bits right again. Scarred the panties off a few hosties as well. Bahrain was probably the most liberated place in the Gulf even in those days. I was posted to Muscat in 1976 which is why I had to sell my Challenger - you could call it "unfinished business". I still have dreams about pitching up in Bahrain and bringing her home. Gosh I wished I'd had the net in those days - there was very little advise as to how best to fix problems - one of the biggest being overheating. Also I remember being on my back under the bitch changing an oil pump on my birthday. Temps in the 90s and humidity at 90%. Cheers for now JM
Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM

Thanks for cleaning that up - the pic in my posting is an exact copy colourwise of the print ie too much orange.