Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Who's the Happiest man in Daytona

Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's the Happiest man in Daytona

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...200813664/1065

[quote] LAT Photographic
Ryan Newman's Dodge at Daytona.
By STEVEN COLE SMITH

No, probably not NASCAR driver Ryan Newman, who drove his Dodge Charger to victory in the 50th annual Daytona 500.

Probably not Roger Penske, his team owner.

Our guess: It's Bob Nardelli.

Before Sunday's race, the Chrysler chairman and chief executive officer walked the garage, making the rounds to rally the soldiers on his Dodge racing teams, shaking hands, patting backs, telling the troops to keep fighting the good fight.

It's hard work, trying to convince veteran team owners like Felix Sabates and Chip Ganassi and Ray Evernham and Roger Penske that despite the financial crisis at Chrysler, the company is committed to spending the millions required to support those teams and market the effort. Just last year, the rumor was rampant that Dodge was prepared to pull the plug on NASCAR participation to save money.

So the polished, engaging Nardelli, 59, came to Daytona to put that rumor to rest. "We're here," he told AutoWeek. "NASCAR is part of the auto industry, part of American heritage.

"For us, it goes right back to our roots. It's part of our legacy, part of what we stand for. It's what our customers expect of us - customers and fans are one in the same here. And we get a lot of encouragement from our dealers - they're very positive about our renewed commitment to NASCAR." Nardelli was the chief executive officer of Home Depot before he was ousted in January of 2007. Despite having no automotive experience - prior to Home Depot, he was a colleague and disciple of General Electric's mercurial boss, Jack Welch, at that company - Nardelli was tapped by Cerebus Capital Management last August to assume control of Chrysler after Cerebus acquired it from Daimler-Benz. Critics were, well, critical, suggesting that even at his reported salary of $1 per year, he may be overpaid.

And certainly it has been one piece of bad news after another. Talk of layoffs and plant closings eclipsed news of new models, such as the retro Dodge Challenger. Last month, Cerebus told its investors that the company faces "significant risks" in its investment in Chrysler.

Regardless of how the race turned out, Nardelli impressed a lot of people - auto executives of his stature, if they show up at a race at all, generally parachute in early, and are on the private jet a few minutes after the green flag falls.

Not Nardelli. Though no one picked the Dodge teams as favorites, Nardelli insisted on staying for the whole race, not just to support the teams, but - this is refreshing -- because he loves racing. After the race, and the expected loss - Dodge had won just one Daytona 500 since 1974 -- he would offer up the expected "atta boys," and the "we'll get 'em next time" homilies.

Bob Nardelli came to Daytona to convince Dodge loyalists that good news was coming. Someday.

He left with more good news than anyone could have imagined. After the race, there was Nardelli, just slightly misty-eyed, on the champagne-soaked podium in victory lane, joining in the celebration over a Dodge one-two finish, after the lightly regarded Newman was followed across the finish line by Newman's Penske Racing teammate, Kurt Busch, in another Dodge.

In fact, of the top 15 finishers, eight drove Dodge Chargers, three drove Toyota Camrys, three drove Chevrolet Impalas, only one drove a Ford Taurus. It's one of the most dominating performances in decades by a manufacturer at NASCAR's biggest race. As the head of Home Depot, Nardelli was ultimately responsible for the sponsorship of Tony Stewart's car, so he knows the value of NASCAR. "I was fortunate at Home Depot relative to the sponsorship with the Joe Gibbs team and Tony Stewart," he said, "and now to come over here and have four good teams and twelve drivers - well, it's a dream come true." And that

Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's the Happiest man in Daytona

You have to love the great start Dodge has taken. My hats off to Kurt Bush and his wing man mentality. This is good for Dodge and its fans. This my be the year we break out. Or at least I would like it to be. How many years since a Dodge has been in victory lane at Daytona?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

I believe they said 1974 (too long). I'm with ya, Lear, I hope this is just the beginning. And next year Chally represents in the NW series. Stoked.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 AM

Check out Dodge's page:

http://www.dodge.com/motorsports/

Way to go Dodge!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I hope this victory will help drive out any temptations to drop out of this. I still think that Roger Penske would be the happiest, because the downside for Bob is he now has to keep this going. They will need more than NASCAR victories to keep the momentum going. Chrysler probably hasn't had a victory like this since the days of the Charger Daytona and Superbird.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts