Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What will Challenger concept lose in production?

Old 07-02-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will Challenger concept lose in production?

When I saw the Mustang concept, I had to have it. When I saw a production mustang, I decided that it lost to much from the concept model and I was a bit disappointed. Alot of changes were made as you can see. I know they were made for cost and the mustang is a great car and has an affordable price tag. It looked like to different cars to me. <-My Opinion.

I'm hoping that the production Challenger will look alot like the Concept. After reading the new Motor Trend Micheal Castiglione says that...

1. The front bumpers may have to be extended for production
2. The tracks will be narrower for production
3. Full-width taillamps could make it to production

I really hope the hood butterflies work, this is the 21st century, lol.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK WILL BE CHANGED FOR THE PRODUCTION CHALLENGER? (Exterior? - Interior? - Wheels? - Engine?)
Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Default RE: What will Challenger concept lose in production?

DON'T KNOW ABOUT EXTERIOR. NOT MUCH CHANGE i HOPE. I READ HOWEVER THAT THE 6.1 LITER HEMI AND THE 6 SPRRD TRANNY ARE GETTIN THE AXE!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Sounds like you need to check that source. I think the most obvious omission is the carbon fiber body. I think the comments in August Motor Trend definitely hint at a couple tweaks. My suggestion is to look at the Charger and other vehicles on the same production line. Dodge will take advantage of the platform and I ABSOLUTLEY believe we will get the 6.1L Hemi & the six speed.

I can't see many things that need to be changed really...
Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

At this point we are all guessing but we did have this conversation on my first post "Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show" of the thread I started.

Everything I commented on there were things that the Dodge people told me at the show so I did not make them up.

Will they happen is anybodies guess but I thougth they were good inputs.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 PM

Hopefully, it loses those god-awful pimpmobile wheels. Dodge outta go back to the 1970-style Rallye wheels. And just in case it comes with the ugly, block-letter nameplate, I have my 1970 scrypt-style Challenger insignia to mount on the front fenders, where God intended them to be -- above the R/T insignia and the original Chrysler logo. (It's really amazing how fast you can strip a car when a tow truck is coming to haul it off to the junkyard after a devastating encounter with an Avenger.)

Oh...just in case anybody else noticed, I dutifully e-mailed DCX to not their misuse of a word on their web page announcing the 2008 Challenger. It said the car is based on "the infamous 1970 Dodge Challenger." Infamous? No. Famous, yes. Legendary, yes. As I told them, John Wayne is famous but John Wayne Gacey is infamous. And, yes, I put in yet another plug for a V-6 version.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:56 PM

I love the large wheels. I hope the vehicle has 18's+ available and since the Charger SRT8 has 18's I'm sure the Challenger will have similar or larger.

Question? - If the Concept weights 4,200 lbs. with a carbon fiber body then what will the production car weigh with steel and plastic? Then throw in Air Conditioning and other immenities under the hood which will make the car weigh more.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

I love the large wheels. I hope the vehicle has 18's+ available and since the Charger SRT8 has 18's I'm sure the Challenger will have similar or larger.

Question? - If the Concept weights 4,200 lbs. with a carbon fiber body then what will the production car weigh with steel and plastic? Then throw in Air Conditioning and other immenities under the hood which will make the car weigh more.
Yes but remember that this may come out as an LY platform which is about 4" smaller and the 21 and 22" wheels actually are not very functional as a daily driver. In the concept car they
rub the fender wheels when they hit bumps so they will have to go smaller. My preference is 3500 lbs but I know I am dreaming.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 AM

I was looking at the dash and I can't imagine that telemetry thing being part of the production model. That is not necessary, quatermile times and speed. It is cool but even the average Challenger driver would not need it. You can only quarter mile on a track and if your doing it on the street then your endangering you and others. When your at the track they give you a print out of that info.

I think the largest gauge should be the tach anyway.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 AM

I love those wheels, but they will have to go alittle smaller for production due to the rubbing. The carbon fibre front end is big money,
and i wouldn't think it will make production if they want to keep it in the more affordible price point of the mustang gt.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 AM

Charger Production

Charger Concept

They don't look the same to me...

Quick Reply: What will Challenger concept lose in production?