Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

LX vs LY platform

Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX vs LY platform

Does anybody have a key specifications on why makes the LX platform so great and is the LY's only difference that it will be a shorter version of the LX for the 2 door Challenger. The LY would surely make it lighter
and I hope it is a great road handler. I know, I know it is a muscle car but I hope it can handle curves as well. This way I can dream about this car and not about Lotus or Porsche.

Making the LY platform will probably increase the price because they are not able the leverage LX cost across several car models. But I would guess the LY maybe the next generation platform for future cars.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default RE: LX vs LY platform

considering the technology applied to the suspension of the challenger, i would expect that it would at least handle the turns as well as its competition....
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

So tell me about this technology applied to the suspension of the Challenger.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator

im not saying that it has an unfair advantage..it was more of an assumption, if they put so mich effort into the rest of the car, do you think that they got lazy and put no effort into the suspension? i know that it is a full factory coilover setup, with 4 wheel independant suspension. i know that the "terminator" cobras had ind. suspension, but the rest did not...i am not sure if the GT500 will have it, but i assume that it would, as they wouldnt likely take a step back from the prior cobra. once someone actually issues some real stats on the challenger, ill be happy to give you a full breakdown of the challenger compared to the stang...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM

This challenger needs to go on a diet. lol
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Is the Challenger supposed to have the steering system from the Charger SRT-8 and Daytona models (I think it was called a nine-link system)? Can't they cut some of the weight by cutting down on the trunk room?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting comments from an article about what is a platform and how carmakers are taking advantage of it:

As big auto companies try to shrink to regain profitability, some manufacturers have realized that small can be good when it comes to expected sales for certain models. And that means many more choices for consumers.

Instead of trying to sell a single model by the hundreds of thousands to turn a profit, automakers realize they can make money off much smaller lots of different makes and models, as long as they're all plopped down on the same flexible rectangle.

The platform is basically the frame, suspension, rolling gear, and maybe even electronic controls that can be programmed, vehicle to vehicle, for performance, safety, and remote power features, among other tasks. Development costs are saved because their results are shared.

Atop these shared platforms can ride wildly different examples of fluid design. Not having to start from scratch with each model allows carmakers to spend money and be creative with what goes on top of these standardized platforms, offering consumers myriad choices among cars that otherwise might not have been made.

Shared platforms offer another benefit: Carmakers can spread electronic safety, such as ABS, stability and traction controls, or a cocoon of air bags front to rear, and even all-wheel drive across a range of cars, trucks, SUVs, and minivans. Finer interiors are possible at lower costs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/FA0EED03088D43F29ECC70D20870C809.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 AM

Good information. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM

Hopefully this would be the reason the Challenger would come in at an affordable price point because most of the engineering for this platform has already been paid for.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

So has anybody heard any news on the new LY platform yet?

You would think they would be announcing soon especially since the other cars will be using it as well?

Quick Reply: LX vs LY platform