Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

chrome clad wheels

Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome clad wheels

Hello, I am new to the forum. This is a great forum with tons of good info! I am going to order a 2009 Hemi Orange Challenger tomorrow. (Royal Gate Dodge, St. Louis) This will be my first Dodge. Anyone buy from these guys? I was there last week, saw their black Chally SRT, what a car! Anyway, I want to get the bigger 20" wheels on my RT, are the chrome clad wheels the same on the Challenger as the Charger? The chrome clad wheel option on the Charger are just chrome plastic wheel covers. I think they look OK but feel kind of cheap, why do they do this? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Default RE: chrome clad wheels

Looks like they are the same as the 20 inch wheels on the Daytona Charger. The 17s for the SE are wheel covers. Having never seen these wheels myself I can not say for certain but it looks like the chrome clad 20s are not wheel covers. If your dealer has a daytona there take a look at its wheels.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Was Royal Gate the dealer that was auctioning Challenger's for $60K on ebay? If so, I would buy one somewhere else, there are plenty Dodge dealers around. JMHO.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Not sure if the chrome clad wheels are similar to the premium wheels I have on my PT Cruiser, but BEWARE. Chrysler chrome wheels - especially chrome clad over aluminum - are notorious for developing leaks around the beads and valve stem openings causing frequent tire pressure loss. Ive had my GoodYear TripleTreds beadsealed and rebalanced with screwdown valve stems - at $20 each - to avoid adding air every day. When the tires cost over $150 each I can't afford to replace them weekly because of flaking chrome on the rims.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Maybe they changed them because of your problem on your PT. Check these out on the charger if you are planning to get the 20's on the challenger!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:38 PM

My good friend has a 2008 Chrysler 300 weith the 20" chrome clad wheels and has had no problems at all with them. I checked them closly and I do believe they are plastic chrome covers but fit really nice and close. I did not however take one off to look at how its done. FAT CAT
Old 06-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Yea, they are plastic covers, but they do look good. And Wrongway, if you buy from Royal Gate, they want $$. I stopped by two weeks ago asking about Challengers, and the guy basically said whoever has the most money is who they will sell to. As for the 09's, another dealer told me "market value".
Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM

So even if I buy at MSRP, when the car comes in, they may decide to charge more? That would really ruin my day! Is this really possible? Where are you going to buy? Thanks Wrongway
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM

I would get it in writing with the salesman and the dealership owner, if possible, that you agreed on MSRP and not a penny over. I know for sure that Royal Gate is selling to the highest bidder on the 08s. When I was there, they wernt taking orders on 09s yet, I guess because pricing hadnt been announced then.

I will probably buy mine form Southtown Dodge. They are more down to earth there. As far as 09 SRT8s, they are the ones who said they will sell at market value. So you may want to wait to get a later 09 or possibly a 2010 like I am doing, after the market and prices cool down.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM

wrongway i have the chrome clad factory 2os on my durango and let me tell you they are awesome thet never dull or rust they are fixed to the wheel and do not come off,,
good luck Joani

Quick Reply: chrome clad wheels