Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Does the exhaust need mods??

Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does the exhaust need mods??

Best sound and loudest are totally different. Some argue louder is better. I choose to have a better tone; I hate glasspacks.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Hopefully when the 08 start hitting the streets, one of the mods will make a sticky "Exhaust mod thread". A lot of car forums have that and it is very helpful. Someone just post what they have done to there car (even a CAI kit) and then gives a link too the video or sound, youtube, etc. Plus you get tired of seeing someone start a thread about "What's the best exhaust sound?" everyday. Can't wait to start hearing some of those 6.1!

More than likely flowmasters for me WITH of course LT headers [sm=gears.gif]
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM

anyone thinking of cutting out the current mufflers(replace with strait pipe and adding headers, all else stock. I did this on my 4.7 ram and it sounded great. Also I like the v8 race car sound kinda like the migets or like in the movie cars. How do you get that sound out of a motor.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM

On my 5.7L I left the mufflers in place and just had the resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe. For my taste, it has a great sound when starting the engine and revving the motor. It also does not go overboard with sound, so you can still hear your music. I am going to check if this is okay to do with the SRT8, but going to hold my decision until I actually hear my Challenger.

Dave
Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM

I got to sit in a 2008 Challenger SRT8... they wouldn't let me drive it but I did get to rev it a bit. Sounded really tame and quiet from the cockpit. Will have to see what it sounds like in real driving conditions.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Same with my 5.7L Charger. If its too quiet, then why have a hemi? With your description, Ill probably try the resonator trick first.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Corsa is making a factory direct replacement; no modifications or anything. Their system on other srt8s sounds pretty mean. It comes with the square exhaust tips to fit into the bumper as well. I know the Borla system looks stupid with dual circular outlets on each side. It just doesn't fit the body style. I don't know what Flowmaster or Magnaflow have yet though.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM

[sm=bling.gif] Go to the website www.slp.com and check out their exhaust systems. They have vids with sound you can actully hear what thier 3 different systems sound like. They have reg aluminized steel systems and stainless steel systems bot cat back and seperate headers with cat back. I'm gooing to have thier loudest system installed with is the " LOUDMOUTH" sytem . then they have Loudmouth I and II systems which are a little less loud. FAT CAT
Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: fatcat

[sm=bling.gif] Go to the website www.slp.com and check out their exhaust systems. They have vids with sound you can actully hear what thier 3 different systems sound like. They have reg aluminized steel systems and stainless steel systems bot cat back and seperate headers with cat back. I'm gooing to have thier loudest system installed with is the " LOUDMOUTH" sytem . then they have Loudmouth I and II systems which are a little less loud. FAT CAT
[sm=bangbang.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]...CORRECTION on the website I posted ....SORRY GUYS, its tough when you get old and are not computer literiate ...LOL Here's the right address....www.slponline.com ...........sorry again, [sm=sorry.gif] FAT CAT [sm=gears.gif]
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Yeah I agree loud and sound good are different. but what im saying is everyone i run into falls in love with my exhuast note. Even my girlfriends Dad who builds hot-rods thought I had headers on it. That was one of the best compliments i've ever gotten. And it doesn't sound to crackley just rich solid deep tones... really smooth sounding... like barry white. Never will I go with anything but FLOWMASTERS. those Cosra kits do sound good too though. I've heard a bunch of them on GTO'S. If I got anything but FLOWMASTER'S it would be the CORSA kits. there sport one sounds good. Super 44's from Flowmaster. Ooouuuwwwww!!!!!

Quick Reply: Does the exhaust need mods??