Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Does the exhaust need mods??

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the exhaust need mods??

Hi everyyone,

First a question to the lucky few driving these cars. How does the exhaust sound? Does it need help?

Now for all, are there mods available? Can you just remove the resonator like you can on the 5.7L. This is inexpensive and it works great on the RT.
Could this, or more properly, should this be done to the 6.1L SRT?

Any other exhaust ideas out there for the SRT Challenger?

Thanks for your time,

Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does the exhaust need mods??

My son has an SRT-8 Magnum so I visit the Charger Forums often to see what mods they are doing. There are several ways to do the exhaust and they range from cheap to very expensive. I think if you remove the resonators and add the sraight pipes and tips, its less than $200. They sound pretty good stock and get meaner as you remove sound deadners and add straight pipe. Kook and TTI have headers but be prepared to spend some coin.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 AM

I had a similar question as I had read in one of the myriad articles that Dodge tweaked the exhaust system to get the best performance/sound from it but I know stock systems are fairly more restrictive than aftermarket. I saw on the Mopar Accessories site a cat back system for the Challenger but it actually looked like it had more muffler/resonator than what is under the Challenger now, anybody have an idea about this? I plan to put the cold air pack on it from the dealer before I pick it up with the 92 mm Throttle body as well and was wondering if going with the cat back system also would help with more ponies/torque. Later down the road a supercharger is slated to go on top and I am sure a better exhaust will be needed so I would like to get it now if is a bigger help to the breathing then the original one.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM

I have 2 magnaflow mufflers and fully polished 3 inch pipe waiting for my car at my muffler shop. Im bringing it from the dealer to the shop.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi 108 Challenger,

I am doing the cold air intake already, are you? Do you know if you are going to need to retune after you change your exhaust?

Thanx,

Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 PM

My buddy has an 08 srt8 charger and it has a custom exhaust and the mopar cai, no tune runs hard! So i wont need a tune yet. Im going to after warentee add a supercharger to it so when ill need the tune.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm going to get a tune anyway, I hear you can make a little more power if you have a good tuner.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Flowmaster's all day long. got them on my Hemi Ram and everyone in town agree's my truck is the meanest sounding one, and best sounding one. So for me im going with the new Super 44's that are out now. My buddy has MagnaFlow's on his new GMC truck and they don't sound very good. Sorry to burst your bubble but they are weak. Even he tells me that.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Ohh yeah got the 4inch chromes tips also. Gotta go big baby. Go hard or go home...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 AM

I have the magnapacks on my nova and at 161 decibles its the loudest car in the area, i always win the loud exhaust comps. Same thing with the chally, 2 magnapacks in the rear.

Quick Reply: Does the exhaust need mods??