Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Production Numbers

Old 07-05-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production Numbers

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8570/
Old 07-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Production Numbers

If that is true, the mark up will be insane!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM

On Monday morning, I inquired at the "ask Dr Z" link http://www.askdrz.com/ about production numbers, options & trim levels, and engines and drivetrains. I got a quick, but standard "form letter" reply from Jennifer, Senior Staff Representative, Dr Z's Product Information Team:

The Dodge Challenger concept was shown in January 2006, with great fanfare and public response. The all-new Dodge Challenger will make its debut as a 2008 model, in calendar-year 2008. True to both its historical and modern concept car roots, the 2008 Dodge Challenger will be offered as a two-door, HEMI V-8 powered, manual-transmission, and rear-drive coupe. At this time, DaimlerChrysler has not released information on anticipated production numbers, pricing, specifications and options.

I hope production numbers are higher than MobileMag is reporting. My pockets aren't bottomless.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

yep, and that, along with the ending of the srt-4 neon, will put the final nail in the coffin for many long time mopar performance enthusiasts...
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM

Just my opinion but I have been in sales & marketing for 15 years and I expect these numbers will be driven by a couple things initially: capacity and demand.

1st - Dodge only has so much capacity at the plants that produce the platform that the Challenger will be built on. It makes sense that they will, in an attempt to get more profit per unit, start with the higher end models in year one. Based on the excitement surrounding this car I definitely agree that the first year buyers will pay a premium. However, there are options for the muscle car fan that are not die hard Challenger nuts (like us). Mark it up too much and you will have prospects going over to buy a Mustang (or something else). I think realists at DCX understand that the Challenger does not compete in a vaccum...there are alternatives.

2nd - As demand increases (as I am betting) DCX will begin to shift production to more Challenger units and more options (IE - V6 models) which will drive the price down. Once the Camaro joins the fray you will probably see prices tighten even further.

I know it stinks to wait (Every day I am on the road I imagine rolling in my Challenger and letting out a throaty HEMI rumble as I ease up to an intersection) but I am betting by year two and beyond you'll see some more rational pricing.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Hey DCX, as much as I like the Challenger, I'm not going to sell my soul for it!

I'd rather have a Mustang GT for $25,000 then a Challenger for $50,000!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Just my opinion but I have been in sales & marketing for 15 years and I expect these numbers will be driven by a couple things initially: capacity and demand.

1st - Dodge only has so much capacity at the plants that produce the platform that the Challenger will be built on. It makes sense that they will, in an attempt to get more profit per unit, start with the higher end models in year one. Based on the excitement surrounding this car I definitely agree that the first year buyers will pay a premium. However, there are options for the muscle car fan that are not die hard Challenger nuts (like us). Mark it up too much and you will have prospects going over to buy a Mustang (or something else). I think realists at DCX understand that the Challenger does not compete in a vaccum...there are alternatives.

2nd - As demand increases (as I am betting) DCX will begin to shift production to more Challenger units and more options (IE - V6 models) which will drive the price down. Once the Camaro joins the fray you will probably see prices tighten even further.

I know it stinks to wait (Every day I am on the road I imagine rolling in my Challenger and letting out a throaty HEMI rumble as I ease up to an intersection) but I am betting by year two and beyond you'll see some more rational pricing.

i like your reasoning, and i hope that youre right...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bored out

Hey DCX, as much as I like the Challenger, I'm not going to sell my soul for it!

I'd rather have a Mustang GT for $25,000 then a Challenger for $50,000!!!

Already did this. I didn't have the patients to wait. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow, and never had that fun car I have always wanted. 2 door coupe, manual tranny and rear wheel drive. So when I was able to, I went and got my STang GT. BUT I have to say, if they had not done this design I would have never got one. I liked the 68,69 fastbacks. AFter that, I never liked them until 05+.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

This is my theory also. It is better that they under produce at first than over produce. Remember what happened in the 70s to Chrysler. They over produced and it just about killed them. They tend to be very cautious and they should be. They are entering a market they have not been in for 22 years and they witnessed GM getting their tail kicked just four years ago. It is a good idea to check the water first before you dive into it. I heard the production for the U.S. is supposed to be around 50,000 which I don't think is too bad. Remember that coupes don't sell like they used to.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts