Notices
Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

ESP/BAS Disable Test.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP/BAS Disable Test.

Need a guinea pig here.

While driving your car, slowly, with the engine running and in gear, turn the ignition key to START. Most modern cars have starter cutouts with the engine running, so you shouldnt have to worry about that. The desired effect here is, your radio should turn off ,can turn it back on again, and your ESP/BAS should be fully disabled allowing you to roast that new rubber you got. Your ESP/BAS can be re-enabled by simply power cycling your car.

This method works on the Charger. Trying to see if it works the same on the Challenger. Please do not attempt this if youre worried about it wrecking something...because I havent heard of it being done on the Challenger yet. Post here if you do try it tho!

There are many many pages of posts discussing this method here ESB Disable key style
Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Default RE: ESP/BAS Disable Test.

What key?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM

What "start" position?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: SRT/ATE/U

Need a guinea pig here.

While driving your car, slowly, with the engine running and in gear, turn the ignition key to START. Most modern cars have starter cutouts with the engine running, so you shouldnt have to worry about that. The desired effect here is, your radio should turn off ,can turn it back on again, and your ESP/BAS should be fully disabled allowing you to roast that new rubber you got. Your ESP/BAS can be re-enabled by simply power cycling your car.

This method works on the Charger. Trying to see if it works the same on the Challenger. Please do not attempt this if youre worried about it wrecking something...because I havent heard of it being done on the Challenger yet. Post here if you do try it tho!

There are many many pages of posts discussing this method here ESB Disable key style
Works for my 2009 Challenger R/T with 6 spd. I just tried it. You need to remove the keyless-go starter button and insert the key into the dash in it's place. While driving over 10 MPH, turn the key to the starting position (as soon as you do this, the radio will turn off) then hold it there for a few seconds until the ESP/BAS warning indicator light comes on in the dash.

Then the real fun begins!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Kewl!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM

now I know this is going to sound dumb.... but is this only for the SRT's? I should have done it before I took it in this morning for the new PCM ..... I may try it later,

Do you have to repeat the process to reactivate the ESP or does it clear itself when you turn the car off and then restart? Or will simply pressing the ESP button reactivate it?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM

it is not only for the SRTs, I have a 6 spd manual and it works....the esp will be disabled until you turn off the car. It will resume normal ops when you start it again...I don't know about the SE though
Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 AM

This will work on the R/Ts.

But don't use it when you think you might need ESP/BAS on during the same drive. You need to turn the car off and back on to re-enable the ESP system. The dash ESP button will not work again until the car is turned off and on again.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM

yep, tried it with a RT automatic. It works.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:28 AM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

what's the difference between doing this and just hitting the ESP button on the dash?

(on a side note, I always laugh when I hit the ESP button because the indicator light looks like a drunk driver.. :P)

Quick Reply: ESP/BAS Disable Test.