Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Should the Challenger get its own V6?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the Challenger get its own V6?

Something I have wondered for a while. It is rumored that the current V6 line-up might die out in around 2012. One thing I have been thinking about is I'm surprised that there hasn't been a V6 version of the HEMI small block yet. They came out with a V6 version of the 4.7L in 2002 for the Liberty known as the 3.7L three years after the 4.7L was produced.

Anyways getting on with my point about this being in the Challenger discussion section. We all know they are not going to charge the price that we would like them to charge, so I was thinking why give the Challenger a more exclusive engine to help justify the higher pricel. A V6 version of the 5.7L would be really effective. It is supposed to be less expensive to build the 5.7L than the 4.7L so it can't be too expensive. Plus, four valve headed engines are supposed to be historically more expensive than two-valve engines and an overhead cam design doesn't seem like it would fit correctly with this type of car.

If they did that it would most likely be around 259 cubic inches or around a 4.2-4.3L engine. The output would be around 250 hp & 280 ft-lbs of torque using the lowest outputs from the HEMI for these measurements, could be potientially much higher. Having the power at the low end is really important on a car like this and the HEMI produces good output at all ranges. I'd be willing to pay $23,000 instead of $20,000 for an extra 40 hp & 40 ft-lbs of torque. What do you think?

BTW, there is no rumor about such an engine (unfortuneatly) it is just my imagination at work.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Should the Challenger get its own V6?

Unless there are engine upgrades in the near future the challenger I think it will get the 3.5 L 250 hp.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 PM

I don't want one for myself but I am in full support of a V-6 line. Helps keep the pricing for the 6.1L I want in line... [8D]
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm kinda in favor of 5.7 hemi myself, but the 6.1 is a monster. I still dont know which to choose, horsepower vs fuel consumption [sm=teetertooter.gif]
Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joeyr

I'm kinda in favor of 5.7 hemi myself, but the 6.1 is a monster. I still dont know which to choose, horsepower vs fuel consumption [sm=teetertooter.gif]
If you are worried about fuel consumption, you are not looking for a muscle car.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

If you are worried about fuel consumption, you are not looking for a muscle car.
Nope. Just the LOOKS of a muscle car.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM

Personally, I think they can keep the costs down by using what's already available..... that being the 3.5L. Coming out with something new will only cost $$$, which will increase the cost of the car. It's already going to be high enough- why aggravate the cost further?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joeyr

From what I have heard there is little difference in real life fuel economy differences between the MDS 5.7L and the 3.5L. Go for the 5.7L, you'll be glad you went for the bigger engine when your blowing away people at the stop lights.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

Personally, I think they can keep the costs down by using what's already available..... that being the 3.5L. Coming out with something new will only cost $$$, which will increase the cost of the car. It's already going to be high enough- why aggravate the cost further?
Not always. The fact is newer engines are more often than not less expensive to build than the old ones. The 5.7L HEMI is less expensive to build than the 360 (5.9L) The 3.5L is supposed to be discontinued somewhere in 2012-2015. The new engines are supposed to be made before long from what I have read. A pushrod design is normally less expensive to build than an four-valve per cylinder head and as a result might actually lower the price. A pushrod design does a better job at giving power to the low end which is needed a lot more in a heavier car such as the Challenger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-09-2006, 10:12 PM

yes but I want a v8

Quick Reply: Should the Challenger get its own V6?