Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Classic vs. New

Old 08-15-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic vs. New

I'm kinda wondering how the '08 Challengers will be received by the members of "classic" car clubs. There are at least a couple in San Antonio that meet regularly at drive-ins, and I know the members openly scorn the new Mustangs and Chargers whenever someone happens to pull up with one. This REALLY makes me miss my '70 Challenger. If it were still in existence, I could have my wife drive it in behind me in the '08 whenever I felt like showing up at one of their car displays at the Pig Stand.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Classic vs. New

i have a real problem with how "newer car owners" are received by many car clubs...it seems that unless i join a club full of neons, i cant be in any of the local dodge clubs with the RT, the mirada, the daytona, or the truck...they are all "too new"...

the problem is that most car clubs are run by old men who dont drive their car how they should be driven, so they have a problem with someone like me who can rip off a low 12 second ET...they dont like that Amanda's 1994 ram is as fast as their stock big block charger, and they HATE the fact that my sort-of-import stratus RT is as fast as their stock base model cars, and it still gets close to 30mpg.

most of these guys have to grovel at their wife's feet just to get the car that they have to cruise in on the weekends..to drive to a "show", sit and swill coors light for a couple hours, then take it back to the garage...they spend the week driving their minivan or SUV, and the wife would NEVER let them buy a modern muscle car...mind you, this doesnt apply to everyone, but i was in a BIG car club, and much of this proves to be true, regularly. they used to say that my mirada wasnt allowed at car shows when it was all white (now it has sponser decals and such and doesnt see much street use) and my reply to "its not old enough to be here" was "my engine is from 1969, wanna race?" i only ever had one taker, and i destroyed him.

i feel that at many car shows, there are far too many stock appearance 6 cylinder mustangs, but i feel that car clubs should be open to everyone, and if you dont want to have something like my stratus in the main section, have a "modern cars" section at the show...
Old 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with that as well. I think that new car owners should be welcomed as well and not be given the cold shoulder.

I think it is pretty cool that your moderns vehicles can smoke the olders ones.

One thing I will do after I get my Challenger will be to make some mods to make it different than stock.

For example, maybe make everything under the hood be chrome so when they open it up it looks like a mirror. Just one
of many ideas I am toying with.

That way I could show off some of my handy work and make the stock car look different than what is on the strip.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 AM

To me it appears to be a matter of pride of having (or not having) a certain ride or the advancements that cars have made over the years. And some people just like to have control of something because they most likely have none over their job, family, etc. So I wouldn't take it seriously. In fact, you should create your own club and have people joined based on their love of cars not the year of one.

Jeremiah, I like your customization idea with the chrome. I was thinking about a custom paint job with a light blue pinstriping work (around hood stripes). Or maybe ghost flames. Either way, my mind has been going a mile a minute thinking of how I can make my challenger different from anyone else's.