Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Unbelievable experience

Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
caj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable experience

Here's a good one. I've talked to a salesperson Scott F______ at P______ S__ C_____ Dodge in St George, Utah about a dozen times in the last 3 weeks. They had an R/T there that was marked up $5k over msrp. It didn't sell and they ended up doing a dealer trade to a dealership in Vegas. Their prices are obviously high so I've also been shopping a price on the internet and found a great guy in Richfield, Utah who is willing to sell me an R/T for invoice. Another great salesman in SLC, Utah will sell for $500 under invoice (the salesperson said that it was virtually fleet price) but adds on $300 for DOC fees...but still a little cheaper by $200 overall. I was trying to be a nice guy and buy from my local dealership here in St George and I let Scott F______ know that I would like to support the local economy and keep my cash money here in the town of St George. You wouldnt believe how rude he got with me on Friday (10-31) when I called him. I told him that I wanted to order today (wanted my order placed in October) and wanted to order from him and would he match the price. He said he would check with the sales mgr and call me back. An hour and a half later he calls. He says that for one day and one day only, he can reduce the price one thousand over invoice for an ordered Chally. I told him "why should I pay you one thousand over invoice when I can get it for $200 under invoice and I have to wait the same amount of time wether I order from you or anyone?" It's not like he's got a Chally in stock that I want....it's a factory order. Now he gets pissy and says that he's going to call all the dealerships in the area to see who's selling at fleet price and then report them and I'm also not the type of customer that their dealership wants to sell to....amongst other things. I kept my cool only because I'll probably have to bring the Chally into his dealership for service and dont want sub-par service (although I'll probably be getting sub-par service anyway from what I've heard from people that have bought there in the past). What a jerk. I'd really like to report the dweeb. I've never been treated so rudely at a dealership and I've been to many over the years....I'm 56. Anyway, I promptly called the dealership in Richfield, Utah and placed my order. I paid the extra $200 because of logistics and Joe is a super knowledgeable guy...also the owner. You can't beat buying directly from the owner.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Unbelievable experience

That deffinatly sounds like the kind of guy that wants to lose his job......It supprises me how many salesmen just "dont get it" and think people should be happy to pay dealer markups of up to $5000. If I were you I would ask to speek to that guys boss and let him know what kind of person he employs.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM

You did the right thing. After what he put you through I probably would not have done the deal even if he met the out of state price. These dealers never learn.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 AM

I had a similiar experience with a dealer that I have purchased 4 vehicles with in the past. Asked him what kind of a deal would he give me, reply MSRP. Went back the second time and test drove a R/T, talked a bit and still at MSRP. Shopped around and found a dealer that would go 1K under MSRP. So I called the dealer that I bought the other 4 vehicles from told him I'm ready to order one and asked him what price he could do, same answer MSRP. Told him what I found and he said he would see if he could match it and get back to me. So 2 days and I mean 2 days later he calls and tells me he can match the other guy. WTF 2 days I ask him? He said he was really busy, I told him so was I, I ordered an R/T from the other dealer but thanks anyway.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 AM
caj

ORIGINAL: 09ChallengerRT

That deffinatly sounds like the kind of guy that wants to lose his job......It supprises me how many salesmen just "dont get it" and think people should be happy to pay dealer markups of up to $5000. If I were you I would ask to speek to that guys boss and let him know what kind of person he employs.
I would report him but I really think that it wouldn't matter. I was called by Scott F______ a week before the incident I mentioned. He asked me to come into the dealership and talk to Huey, the sales manager. I thought that we would put a deal together when I got there and was prepared to do so. But....Huey starts up by saying he wants MSRP and that if I do indeed want to keep my money in St George, what's wrong with giving them "a little more profit." I quickly told them that my wife and I are retired (on a fixed income) and that while I would like to buy from them, I'm not going to and can't afford to pay them sticker especially considering that for a 2+ hour drive I can pay $2k less. That whole dealership has the same type mentality. In my opinion, they are a bunch of no-class crooks.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Definitely makes sense to get the best deal you can. Congratulations caj and BWG on your new R/T's!

I would not call a dealer a crook for selling at MSRP. Back when Challengers were (sometimes) selling at markup, many of us acted like there was some sort of moral imperative to sell at MSRP. Now that some dealers offer a discount from MSRP, the guys offering MSRP are suddenly money-grubbers?

Now this does NOT excuse the rude treatment that caj received from his salesman. That salesman lost business, and rightfully so with his attitude. If he was not willing to lower his price, he should have said so firmly and politely, and left it at that. No-haggle pricing can be effective, and even refreshing to deal with, but trying to guilt-trip, browbeat, or trick a customer into paying more is not acceptable.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:21 AM

I bought a black 08 Charger R/T from a dealer in Birmingham, Alabama at a huge discount. I went back to that same dealer to order a Challenger with exactly the same options as the car I now own. My Challenger came from a dealer in Atlanta and it was in stock. The dealer I previously purchased from would not discount the car off sticker and wanted a large deposit to order the car. So much for repeat customer loyality. If you want a Challenger of any type I believe you can find it in stock some where for less money if you will drive a little. I purchased my car very close to invoice.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM

sorry to say.. but your story sounds way too familar.... i talked to about a dozen dealers in my area and all of them treated me like i was an idiot... From quoting me that the R\T was a limited production model, getting most of the specs wrong on the car, to asking for mark ups as high as $10,000 over MSRP for an R\T. Unofortunately it is not the consumers that are stupid it is the salesmen who think us consumers are stupid ( no offense to the salesmen on here since you are the few righteous dudes out there) Sincerity and honesty go a long way in life.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Ummm... not all customers are that well armed. Met a guy the other day that paid $9k over MSRP for an R/T...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 PM

You described how you called the salesman at a rate of more than once every other day. He probably thought you were interested in buying from him. Then you tell him you can buy much cheaper somewhere else. I can understand him being a little annoyed. That said, it does not excuse his words or actions. He won't last long in the business is my guess. Hope you have good luck getting your new Challenger and enjoy every minute of it. I was at a dealer today with a $20,000 markup on an '09 SRT8 6 speed and $9995 markups on their three R/Ts. They were kind enough to give me a brochure (hidden in an office somewhere, not on the rack with the Rams and Calibers!) and I said I was looking to order in 6 months.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable experience