Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Former Challenger owner driving impressions?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Former Challenger owner driving impressions?

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

I had a 70 and now I have an 09, and all I can say is get the Challenger. You'll love it. (I gotta admit, though, I don't know much about having a midlife crisis. I've spent so many years elevating juvenile delinquency to a high art form that I've never had time for a midlife crisis.) [8D]

That funny! I don't feel midlife but I do feel the need to have something with some raw power back under the seat of my pants and at my back. I've been stuck in the economy car mode for 20 years after selling my Challenger and I kick myself for doing it. But you know family first and the responsibilities that come with it take priority. But right now I see an opportunity to do this before my youngest son begins his college experience and I have that expense to deal with. At this point I have no debt and don't feel the guilt I would normally have even thinking about such a purchase.

Yesterday I took Mrs. deranged to test drive a Deep Water Blue R/T with an Automatic and she said she likes it. We had our original Challenger for 17 years so she was almost as fond of that car as I was and the test drive kind of brought back some of those feelings. She did comment that it didn't sound the same as our old one and didn't quite understand the point of the tap shift feature but overall she was impressed.

So you guys that have ordered are saying that I should probably be thinking about ordering soon to have it by April? Sounds like 4-5 months is about what you're experiencing from order to delivery? I guess I'd better get my deposit in hand and go talk some serious business with the dealer then!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 AM

i drive my srt8 daily, and I'm soooo happy i got a auto instead of a manual. i'm a die hard driver, and fatigue usually doesn't come into play with my driving
but really I'm happy i got the auto, cause there are some days where i think I would have killed myself if I was in a manual.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM

I just purchased what you want off the lot Nov. 7th . Does have the Bose 7 speaker 368 watt sound system with 6 CD changer that sound's great. But it is the Burbling exhaust sound . And the sound going through the gear's that put's a big grin on my face. And after riding with me today . My wife also. She could not believe how fast it goes and doesn't feel like you are going that fast. She drive's a 06 Chrysler 300C with the Hemi I got her new. Two great looking car's. I made my first Mod tonight. Took some of the Black touch up paint for her car . Painted in the number's on the top of my 6 speed shifter . Then wiped the top off with a cloth before drying . Leaving the paint in the numbers and line's. Look's great. You are going to love the New Challenger R/T with the stick .
Old 11-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Comparing the new 71 R/T 340 I had with auto and the 09 R/T with 6 speed stick and 3.92 gear. The 340 was a very high winding engine . The car was quick and could do 150 on top end . The only thing I didn't like was the steering. It was very touchy or mine was . Brakes were ok for then I guess . Didn't worry about stopping . Don't know how I'd feel about it if I had it to drive now. The 09 feel's like a muscle car , sound and for sure has plenty of power . Good brakes to deal with the extra weight. Great seat's and love the leather and 368 Watt Bose 7 speaker sound system. . Never thought they make anything like it again. Alot went into this new Challenger R/T and it show's.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 AM

Yeah, I know about the touchy steering in the old Challengers at high speed. The front end started to lift and wander at about 110. For the rest of you guys, watch the movie Vanishing Point (original) and when you see that Challenger with the ass end hunkered down and it's nose in the air, you'll know that SOB is travelling at high velocity! The most nerve I got up was taking mine to 135 mph. My brother was in the passenger seat and that was all he wanted as well! Scared the living crap out of him! Oh, the days of young and stupid. I still remember them fondly and I am sure when the time is right I'll test the limits of my new Challenger as well as my own. Wasn't that old 340 a screamer! Wow, what a motor!