Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

What brand and type of oil to use

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand and type of oil to use

I've used GTX oil for many year's with great luck . Took out the service contract on my wife's new 06 300C when I got it for her . And let them use the Mopar oil in my 07 Quad Cab Dodge Ram 4x4. But took the GTX to the dealer for oil changes in a 06 MX5 GT 6 speed. I traded the truck and MX5 in on the 09 Challenger R/T 6 mt . Thinking of Mobile One or the GTX . If the dealer will use it if I take it to them . Dealer's change brand's sometime or bulk and different weight oil . Like to keep the same thing in it .
Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Default RE: What brand and type of oil to use

Mobile 1 for sure. They tested oils and it is the best synthetic oil on the market.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 AM

I talked to the guy at service today . He said I could bring my own oil and they would only charge me $19.95 for labor and filter . And he said they get Mobile one . But the bulk oil they normally use isn't the right weight for the Hemi and they get it out of part's most of the time. Dealer get what ever they get the best price on . And that might change a few time's as to brand . Don't like getting older . And not up to doing everything.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 PM

The best oil Hands down is royal purple. When I started using it on a 500ci wedge motor it picked up 8 hp on a dyno. Also, after 400+ low 10 second quarter mile passes, the bearings and roller lifters in my motor look like new. Royal Purple 5w20 is going in my car on the first oil change.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Might want to research this a little bit...
While this is possibly the best oil performance wise... it activly deteriorates seals over time.

Plus it cost so damn much for such a small differnce.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Royal Purple.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: raj1980

Might want to research this a little bit...
While this is possibly the best oil performance wise... it activly deteriorates seals over time.

Plus it cost so damn much for such a small differnce.
It is expensive....but in my opinion oil cost should not be a factor...especially since I have seen first hand on the level of protection it offers the internal components of an engine.

Just curious, where did you read it caused seal deterioration over time? I have used it since 2001 with no issues with leaks. I plan on putting it in my RT as soon as a change is needed, but also would be interested in knowing more if it truly causes seal issues. I had never heard anything like that before.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 PM

I too like Castor Oils products and hear lots of good things about thier syntheitic oil so I think thats what i'm gonna use. I just want to ask how soon is too soon to change oil on a brand new 5.7 ltr Hemi in a 2009 Challenger R/T .........I've heard 500 mile break in then change the oil and every 2,500 miles after that. What do you guys think ?? Thanks , Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: BkChallenger09R/T

I've used GTX oil for many year's with great luck . Took out the service contract on my wife's new 06 300C when I got it for her . And let them use the Mopar oil in my 07 Quad Cab Dodge Ram 4x4. But took the GTX to the dealer for oil changes in a 06 MX5 GT 6 speed. I traded the truck and MX5 in on the 09 Challenger R/T 6 mt . Thinking of Mobile One or the GTX . If the dealer will use it if I take it to them . Dealer's change brand's sometime or bulk and different weight oil . Like to keep the same thing in it .
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: BkChallenger09R/T

Old 11-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Personally, I'm going 1,000 miles (all easy) for the break-in then every 3,000 after that. That's what I've done with my Mustang, and it seems to work pretty well. Also, the last several oil changes, I've switched to synthetic oil. Especially in the heat of South Texas, I figure engines need all the help they can get.

Quick Reply: What brand and type of oil to use