Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Enthusiasts show off classic cars at Dowagiac

Old 08-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enthusiasts show off classic cars at Dowagiac

Looks like this happened in Indiana today.

Article published Aug 19, 2006

Enthusiasts show off classic cars at Dowagiac

By YaSHEKIA SMALLS
Tribune Staff Writer

DOWAGIAC — His car is indeed sublime. Or, at least that’s what’s written on Ed Kazlauskas’ license plate.

But if you took a good look at the lime green Dodge Challenger Saturday afternoon — sardined between his 1970 gold mango orange Plymouth Barracuda and a row of several other award-winning classic road toys, like convertibles and street rods — “sublime” has nothing to do with color.

Or, at least, not exclusively.

“The (cars) are both very limited production,” said Kazlauskas, owner of Jim D’s Body Shop in Dowagiac. “That makes me very interested.”

Kazlauskas’ two cars were two of almost 200 classic cars and custom motorcycles at the 16th annual Dowagiac Rod and Roll Classic Auto Show Saturday. The vehicles donned their classic and modern value from the early to mid-1900s and today, claiming winners in 17 categories, from the Best of Show, to antique and custom rods.

It was a day that tantalized the senses — the smell of New York strip steaks and brats cooking on the grill; the humid, rain-drenched atmosphere offering spots of sunshine; and the rhythm of “Stand By Me” and other 1950s and 1960s music tunes echoing from the Haggin-Wimberley Memorial Bandstand.

But it was also a day to honor a long-time auto buff and demolition derby driver who died unexpectedly on March 30 of a heart attack. Harold Primley, who used to coach youth basketball and create job opportunities for “off-the-beaten-path” young people, died at 48.

His wife, Carol, still owns their Dowagiac Auto Service Center on M-51 South.

“Give them a little self-esteem was what he was good at,” said Curt Rohdy, auto show co-chairman.

In his memory, officials presented the Harold Primley Inspirational Award to Marcellus resident Kolley New, who has shown cars for several years and restored old cars as a hobby since he was a child.

“He’s just an individual who, if you need something, he knows how to help,” said Kazlauskas, who has known New for 15 years and spoke to his friend Primley the day he died.

And what’s the appeal of restoring old junkers in New’s eyes?

It’s all in his last name — all about taking a “piece of junk, and when you get done with it, it looks like these ones” in the auto show’s main stretch.

“Ed does the finishing touches; I do the roughing in,” New said with a laugh.

A few yards away, vrooms from revving engines penetrated the atmosphere, causing many heads to turn, some to jump. But some of the sound explosions — like those of the “Little Red Wagon,” a HEMI motor Dodge Ram — were a bit too much for Ron Shrout, auto show co-chairman.

But the owner of the 1960 red Chevrolet Corvette on the street’s south side can stand a little vroom, he said.

“See there, that turns your head,” Shrout said. “That gets your attention. People love it.”

And that includes Kazlauskas, no doubt.

“It’s the horsepower that brings people to cars,” he said. “It’s just the dream — the great American dream. Part of the great American dream.”

But it’s not just men who joined the fun Saturday. Just ask Janet Richcreek, who drove her 1933 silver Dodge four-door car with suicide doors, which are rear-hinged front doors.

Her husband, Don, placed the words “PT Cruiser” in the car’s rearview window, meaning “part-time cruiser” because they only drive the car during the summer, she said.

“I call it a Bonnie and Clyde car,” she said with a laugh. “These are real cruisers, back in the ’30s.”

Shrout said he saw at least 10 women who drove their own cars into the event Saturday, so it’s not “just a man’s thing.”

“Women need to get into it more,” Janet Richcreek said. “Just so they know it’s not just a man’s sport. Women can do it, too. And a lot of
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.