Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

K&N Air Filter

Old 11-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

Have anyone replaced the stock air filter with a drop in K&N airfilter. Did it run better , worse or engine sound change.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Default RE: K&N Air Filter

No sound change at all. Run better? Youll get 100 opinions.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM

I have not ran a drop in filter, but I can tell you my car ran 2 mph back to back runs with the filter removed at the track. I bet the filter is worth a couple ponies.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks
ORIGINAL: davidstan

No sound change at all. Run better? Youll get 100 opinions.
I've had them make the engine sound off more and sometime less. Normally do run better . But have had the mpg drop some . I'm concerned with the oil from the filter getting on the hot wire in the air flow meter . I think that is what it has. It got on the wire in the car I traded in on the R/T . Which caused it to be off . I like the way it sound's now and not looking for every hp I can get.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 AM

I agree
ORIGINAL: 10secDodge

I have not ran a drop in filter, but I can tell you my car ran 2 mph back to back runs with the filter removed at the track. I bet the filter is worth a couple ponies.
That HP gain is one of the reason's it is for sale . Not sure but think I had something to do with that . Back in 1980 I had a new Dodge 15 passenger Van I hauled rider's 50 miles one way and then back home from my work at GE Appl Park . The interstate was under being widened from a total of 4 lanes to 6 for many years. All that dirt and dust clogged my air filter . And I had to change it once a month . I read in a OFF Road mag. about a OFF Road use of K&N in the desert to protect the engine . And it could be cleaned and reused. After trying to find one . I was told by Speed Shop's they where used moslty by dirt track racers. I went to a shop to see how they got them . I called K&N and convinced them to send me one for a OFF Road application to Dodge 4x4 . Put it in the Van and used it for many years using the cleaner's and oil they supplied to me. Then in 83 I got one of the protype Monte Carlo SS car's . MONTHS before anyone else in my area even herd of them . First thing I did was take it to a 1/8th mile track . Racing had already started . But the Track let me make a few pass's so people could see the car and I get a ET out of it. With lot's of wheel spin it ran 10 sec in 1/8th mile . I called K&N and asked if they had one to fit it. What are you doing . After telling of my year's running a Buick GS 455 in NHRA and Kenne Bell helping me . They said we have one to fit. I took the SS to the track . 10 second 1/8th mile ET at another track . With stock filter on a car with less than 1000 miles on it. I then put the drop in K&N . And ran 9.90 with no change other than K&N . The screen on the filter help's with the flow of air. For example take the screw on screen off of the sink focet . Turn the water on and it goes everywhere. But nice flow with it. After calling and telling K&N of the lower ET and begged them to sell them to the Hot Roder market . They did that about a year later calling them Filter Charger. Don't know if I had anything to do with selling them . But I've had them in 10 new car's or truck's I have owned since. Will do more on the hot wire MAFM before putting in the R/T . But odd's are it will have one also. They do keep the dirt out. After a few thousand mile's in 97 waiting for K&N to make one for my wife's car. When they where available . I took the old filter out . And dirt had got around the hard frame filter in her Merc. I took all the plastic tubing off to the throttle body. Very Dirty inside . Washed it up then put in the K&N . After 6 months I took it out for cleaning . Checked the tube's ( about a yard worth in length ) . Clean as the day I washed them . Enough Ranting for now . Just a car nut through and through.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 AM

I replaced my OEM paper filter with a K&N drop in on my Challenger R/T..... Definitely a seat of the pants improvement (better throttle response) and it has increased induction/ exhaust sound just a bit.
I had removed my stock air filter box / intake tube on my 06 Daytona, and replaced it with an AFE stage 2 CAI..... IMO I would say they (K&N D..I vs CAI) seem to perform very similar, but I do not get the CAI whistle when I punch it on The Challenger!
I experimented with the CAI at the track....I tried to plug the hole on the bottom of the CAI shroud = tried to keep out as much hot air as possible.... resulted in a loss of et and mph!!!!
Our Challenger R/T stock air boxes have the same hole on the bottom as the LX Daytonas and Road and Track Charger R/Ts do. The regular LX Charger R/Ts do not have that hole.... some speculate that is part of the reason the Daytonas as well as R and T R/Ts are rated with 10 more ponies. The hole in the bottom acts as the aftermarket Volant type CAIs.
....... This is why I tried the K&N drop in this time, and I am real happy with the results! I spent $50 and get very similar performance as a $350 CAI!!! And I'm thinking about a modification with ducting the hole to a true cold air source
Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 PM

I agree with you Vanishingpoint. From the test I did removing the filter, I bet just a K&N filter will yield almost as good results as a CAI. Even if you get half the gain for $50 vs $300....that's money to spend elseware.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the information Vanishingpoint
ORIGINAL: VanishingPt2009

I replaced my OEM paper filter with a K&N drop in on my Challenger R/T..... Definitely a seat of the pants improvement (better throttle response) and it has increased induction/ exhaust sound just a bit.
I had removed my stock air filter box / intake tube on my 06 Daytona, and replaced it with an AFE stage 2 CAI..... IMO I would say they (K&N D..I vs CAI) seem to perform very similar, but I do not get the CAI whistle when I punch it on The Challenger!
I experimented with the CAI at the track....I tried to plug the hole on the bottom of the CAI shroud = tried to keep out as much hot air as possible.... resulted in a loss of et and mph!!!!
Our Challenger R/T stock air boxes have the same hole on the bottom as the LX Daytonas and Road and Track Charger R/Ts do. The regular LX Charger R/Ts do not have that hole.... some speculate that is part of the reason the Daytonas as well as R and T R/Ts are rated with 10 more ponies. The hole in the bottom acts as the aftermarket Volant type CAIs.
....... This is why I tried the K&N drop in this time, and I am real happy with the results! I spent $50 and get very similar performance as a $350 CAI!!! And I'm thinking about a modification with ducting the hole to a true cold air source
That sound's great. What where your ETs . Do you have a automatic or stick . My R/T Challenger has the track pack 6 speed stick and 3.92 gear.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I have always found that K&N air filters make the engine sound a little more throaty and always liked the fuel economy and power gain from them. I never have used a CAI system after hearing people complaining about them sucking water in after it would rain or after a car wash.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Rain..?? Carwash..??

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter