Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

5.7L break-in...MDS active?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7L break-in...MDS active?

Does anyone know if the MDS (multi-displacement system) is "active" during the break-in period? Wondering how this could affect ring break-in if certain cylinders aren't firing.

Also, RPM's seem to be staying relatively higher than I would expect during cruising....between 2,000-2,500 rpm. I have about 400 miles so far. Is this what can be expected after break-in period? Could be driving mpg down right now.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5.7L break-in...MDS active?

MDS is very advanced. The computer runs the cylinders in order. So that all fire every other stroke. It changes the cylinders that are deactivated every revolution. In other words its not just the same cylinders that are deactivated. So there is no problem with break in.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 PM

I still haven't seen that "Gas Saving" mode message that the manual says will pop up when the MDS goes on.
I'm at 1400 miles.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: downejt

Does anyone know if the MDS (multi-displacement system) is "active" during the break-in period? Wondering how this could affect ring break-in if certain cylinders aren't firing.

Also, RPM's seem to be staying relatively higher than I would expect during cruising....between 2,000-2,500 rpm. I have about 400 miles so far. Is this what can be expected after break-in period? Could be driving mpg down right now.

Any thoughts?
What speed are you at when it is running at this RPM. Something you have to remember is that the transmission has short gearing. Although it has a 3.06 axle ratio which is reasonable, the 5th gear ratio is a .83 (most overdrive ratios are traditionally around .7 give or take .03 to that). This is part of the reason why the manual is able to match the fuel economy despite not having the MDS because it has a 3.73 axle ratio with a .5 6th gear ratio which translates into a much taller combination. This is one reason why I was never crazy about the fact that they were planning on using this transmission to begin with.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM

I have had my car for over two months and NEVER see the gas saving mode message come on. But.....on a recent trip down to the Fla. Keys, I got over 23 MPG and I could hear the difference when it went from 4 cylinders back to 8 cylinders again. It sounded kind of like a thrashing noise when going from 4 to 8. The technology works pretty good if I can coax over 23 MPG from a large V-8 engine with 370 HP.

ORIGINAL: Carbon

I still haven't seen that "Gas Saving" mode message that the manual says will pop up when the MDS goes on.
I'm at 1400 miles.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM

What page in the manual talks about "Gas Saving" message ? I have been through the manual twice and can not find it. It could be there but I haven't seen it. I've been looking in the section explaining the dash layout and the meaning of the different symbols. With some of the highway mileage I've been getting I'm pretty sure it is working but have never seen the message either.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM

My "Gas Saving" mode is called coasting. On my last business trip I averaged 21.2 mpg, pretty dang good for 425+ horsepower and my passenger complaining her neck was sore from my driving habit of trying to reach cruising speed as soon as possible..
Old 11-25-2008, 11:13 AM

THE REFERENCE TO "GAS SAVINGS" MODE IS IN THE FIRST EDITION OF THE OWNER'S MANUAL THAT WAS INCLUDED IN EARLY 2009 DELIVERIES.

THE 2ND EDITION OFT HE OWNER'S MANUAL DOES NOT LIST ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.

HENCE THE CONFUSION.

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

What page in the manual talks about "Gas Saving" message ? I have been through the manual twice and can not find it. It could be there but I haven't seen it. I've been looking in the section explaining the dash layout and the meaning of the different symbols. With some of the highway mileage I've been getting I'm pretty sure it is working but have never seen the message either.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM

How long was the First edition used ? I picked my car up on September 4th and it does have the second edition. Do you know when the change was made ?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

How long was the First edition used ?
Not at all actually... I haven"t used mine yet... still in the factory wrapper...

Quick Reply: 5.7L break-in...MDS active?