Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Cleaning the Tar off

Old 11-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the Tar off

What are you guys using to get the super stuck on gunk behind the rear tires, that won't hurt the paint?
any good products out there?
I'm starting to get little black spots that are almost embedded it seems and take forever with my nail to get off.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Default RE: Cleaning the Tar off

Simple Green seems to really be good at gently removing the gunk, then a water rinse........... So far so good.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM

Simply Green will strip all the paint off your car. Make sure to rewax.

ORIGINAL: tommyroadrunner

Simple Green seems to really be good at gently removing the gunk, then a water rinse........... So far so good.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM

I have tried a bunch of "bug and tar remover" products but they all require you to re-wax because they also strips the wax. I finally tried using a "cleaner wax" and later the yellow wax and sealer wax (synthetic) (mostly Meguire's products but other good brands should also work) on those stubborn tar stains. Any one of these will work, for me it just depends on what state of "clean" the rest of the car is in as to what I will use.

Dab a bit (drop or so as needed) of the liquid paste wax of choice on the tar with your finger and let it set for a few minutes (but do not let it dry), then work it with your finger tip or finger nail for really stubborn spots. With the still moist wax as a solvent and lubricant, your fingernail should not scratch your paint.

It softens the tar then wipe off the "heavy dirt" lightly with a rag and then buff with a clean rag.

Best part is no need to re-wax!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 AM

I think everyone needs to look at the attached picture then ask themselves, "Does a REAL Challenger driver worry about such mundane things as flecks of tar?" Obviously, a REAL Challenger driver has more important things to worry about.

[IMG]local://upfiles/148/0991A712A1BD4E118EEB0C28E3B40C40.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 AM

I'm ordering mud flap for my car. I catch a lot of crap for having them on my Truck but the new ones are double walled and form fitting. Cheap insurance agaisnt scratching thing up.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 AM

Mud flaps were the least of my wants for this car but after getting the car detailed for winter storage I found a chip in the paint behind the front wheel well about a half size of a dime! I have mulled over the 3M film or mud flaps, after having to fix this chip I am electing for both.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM

I have the best and safest product for tar, now don't laugh but this crap has been working for years, drive to your local GM/Chev dealer, purchase a can of the GM Glass Cleaner, it is safe on the finish and removes all gunk, just spray it on, let it sit for about 30 sec and then wipe, it may take a few applications but it does work without stripping the finish, this also works on 3M tape from badging/ decals etc, trust me, I have 2 cases in the garage and I use it for everything. I detailed cars for 9 years,

U.S guys - best blood/ink, oil/ grease remover for fabric/ carpet etc. is Sanifoam... it's a bathroom disinfectant, literally says on the can "kills 99.89% of bacteria, HIV, virul fungus...." < you know that shit has got to work when it can kill HIV, but it does take out 2yr old pen ink stain on a car seat.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 AM

I always sprayed some Armor ALL on before I raced. Then whiped off after race. Pretty much all comes off. The rest comes off with washing.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM

I'm not doubting that will work but doesn't all glass cleaner remove wax? If so, don't forget to re-wax those sections after cleaning them.

That is the main reason I like my liquid paste wax method. It waxes as it cleans.

ORIGINAL: canadiancanuck

I have the best and safest product for tar, now don't laugh but this crap has been working for years, drive to your local GM/Chev dealer, purchase a can of the GM Glass Cleaner, it is safe on the finish and removes all gunk, just spray it on, let it sit for about 30 sec and then wipe, it may take a few applications but it does work without stripping the finish, this also works on 3M tape from badging/ decals etc, trust me, I have 2 cases in the garage and I use it for everything. I detailed cars for 9 years,

U.S guys - best blood/ink, oil/ grease remover for fabric/ carpet etc. is Sanifoam... it's a bathroom disinfectant, literally says on the can "kills 99.89% of bacteria, HIV, virul fungus...." < you know that shit has got to work when it can kill HIV, but it does take out 2yr old pen ink stain on a car seat.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Tar off