Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Motor Trend

Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend

What do you think of Motor Trends' evaluation of the six-speed R/T in considering it for Car Of The Year? I think they liked it but saw some of the drawbacks to a retro car. Like getting into the back seat. I really didn't care about Car Of The Year but had to buy it to read about the Challenger. They said it might be too much of a niche vehicle to sell in numbers. All I know is, If they would get more of them in my area the sales would be pretty good. Still pretty rare around here.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 AM

Default RE: Motor Trend

I'm sure I have the Motor Trend issue you are talking about. But the test drive in the new 09 Challneger R/T with Viper 6 speed sold me on the car. It's not the old 71 R/T 340 I got new when I got home from Nam. Better in most way's . But heavier . I don't expect all the car magizines to think like I do. But do form a opinion by the seat of my pants mostly. I took my Mom to one of my cousin's home for a Thanksgiving dinner with her sister the other day. and took my cousin's ( grown men ) for a ride in the Challenger . One of them had no trouble getting in the rear . And didn't hear any complain's about room . They both just had a ear to ear grin when we got back . And I just ran it though the gear's without getting on it hard. They both remember the 71 I had . Even if they are a few year's younger than me.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM

I can't say that I have any problem with the back seat. Went and sat in one at the dealer and thought for sure it would be tight like the Mustang. I was very surprised that there was so much room in the back of that car. It was very comfortable to. I almost would rather just ride in the back and let someone else drive it.....almost. One thing I was a little baffled about was not being able to get in the back on the driver side. My wife and I must have been missing something, but we didn't find a way to do it except for moving the power seat forward all the way, which wasn't to possible considering the battery was pretty much dead.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM

It's the January 2009 edition that names the Nissan GT-R the Car Of The Year.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM

The Nissan GT-R may be car of the year. But I bet it doesn't get as much attention in real life as the Challenger R/T does. I was going into my Bank the other day . And a older lady well dressed . Asked is it anything like the old Challenger . That she loved the old one's. Suprised me she even knew anything about it . And that is not the first time I've been asked to compare . And even a few people knew who I am or that I had the green and white striped 71 R/T . And where not suprised I have one of the knew one's. I had one of the few 71 cars or older model's back then in the area. The town was much smaller back then also.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM

If the front seat occupants are remotely larger than average then the back seat is pretty much useless for all but children, fortunately for me my one child fits back there fine!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:08 PM

I love mine.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 AM

Some people definitely know what it is. Others at leats know it is something different even though they're not sure what it is (like the other day, an airport shuttle driver walked around my R/T and said, "Nice Charger!").
Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 AM

There is a amount of the population that has asked me if the car was a Charger. I politely correct them. One of my best friends is 58 and his first new car was a 1970 Challenger with a 318 and a slap stick automatic. He loves my car and is considering a new SE. I have found that some people who have never really owned a high performance V8 feel completely fine with buying the 3.5 V6. I must say the smoothness of the 3.5 is night and day compared to the 210 horse V6 which is standard in the Mustang. The Mustang V6 is really a gritty sounding engine and that translates into the passenger compartment.