Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

All Season Good Year in ice and snow

Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season Good Year in ice and snow

I have the optional 245/45/20 Good Year All Season tire's . Has anyone had any experence in ice or snow. Live in Ky. And they are calling for some later today . I wouldn't get the car out of the garage . But my wife is going in the Hospital for a knee replacement Wed. 17th . Just don't want to get caught out and not know what to expect . I know I'm going to miss my 07 Ram 4x4 I traded in .
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 AM

Default RE: All Season Good Year in ice and snow

Everything I have read on this forum says that this tire would be slightly worse than average in snow. As far as ice goes; I would not take the car out and try to make another arrangement.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 AM

Not that I need new tires, but I have been doing some down the road reading and thinking. On the Tire Rack site, you can do some comparisons and the Kumho tire beats the original Goodyear in all categories. Traction, in all conditions and tire wear are both rated superior.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM

True, these all factory season tires are not rated that well but if you respect the snow/ice and the power the car has (and leave ESP on) you should do ok. My beater 82 F250 suprised me with brake problems right before the last snow storm we had here in Northern IL so I needed to drive the Challenger for three days of sleet, freezing rain, snow and next morning icy road conditions. I fared pretty well.

But, then again, I have a lot of experience with rear drive vehicles in the snow and prefer RWD after 4X4 and over FWD in snow/slick conditions.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM

That sounds better mot250
ORIGINAL: mot250

True, these all factory season tires are not rated that well but if you respect the snow/ice and the power the car has (and leave ESP on) you should do ok. My beater 82 F250 suprised me with brake problems right before the last snow storm we had here in Northern IL so I needed to drive the Challenger for three days of sleet, freezing rain, snow and next morning icy road conditions. I fared pretty well.

But, then again, I have a lot of experience with rear drive vehicles in the snow and prefer RWD after 4X4 and over FWD in snow/slick conditions.
Since you have the same car I do . That doesn't sound too bad. I'd like to have a extra set of wheel's ( factory ) and ice and snow tire's on them . But won't happen this year. I have the Yokohama Advan S4 ( hp all season ) in size 245/50 /18 on my wife's 300C . But they aren't great in ice or snow .
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Had my chance to try the All Season Good Year in ice and snow today. We got about 2 to 3 inches of ice with 3 inches of snow on top of that last night. Was slow going on the ice . But better than expected . The manual trans worked great . The Hemi has enough torque at 1000 rpm to pull 4th or 5th gear . Too much RPM and it got a little tricky .
Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Ice and snow, I hated this weekend. I had to back her out of the garage and get the sleds down for the kids, left her running no doubt, and then quickly pulled back in....Whew, that was all I needed with the ice and snow. hehehehe